Author Topic: How do I get Dolly started working?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline mcinnd

• Donator
How do I get Dolly started working?
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:42:18 AM »
I'm a complete beginner when it comes to training a spaniel for work but as we've now had Dolly for a few months, she's now 17months it is pretty clear that to keep her happy she needs to be worked.

I've had coursing dogs (Lurchers) all my life up until the arrival of Dolly and have always trained them to course, pick-up and retrieve to hand with little or no difficulty but really don't know where to start with a cocker.

I've got her going out and retrieving a dummy back to hand, well 90% of the time but her releasing to hand on command needs a lot of practice.

Are there any books that could be recommended?
I live in West Lothian, Scotland and was wondering if anyone knew of someone local to me who was an old hand at this lark that could give me a few pointers?

David
Dolly & Silkie

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: How do I get Dolly started working?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
we trained Gemma ourselves and she is our first working dog. She is worked during the pheasant season. We are complete beginners (were). I brought OH a book but do not think he looked at it.
 At every opportunity we asked advice from every one we met who had something to do with workers. Game shows, country fairs, breeders, even our shooting pals. You will find spaniel people will talk for ever. Look out if you have any local shows you could go to with your girl. Some of them even do free training  lessons to promote business. You will be amazed at all the free info and time that is out there if you just look for it.
All  info that  was offered to us was took on board and we put it into action the best we could interpret it. We are will please with Gemma although she has her moments.  We still parade her round the shows and still ask the questions.

a book to find is Training the Working Spaniel by Janet Menzies ( I read it)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline panda66

• Donator
Re: How do I get Dolly started working?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:53:26 PM »
http://totallygundogs.com/start-here/  Very good site with lots of information  :D