Author Topic: time for long lead???  (Read 1224 times)

Offline millrace

time for long lead???
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:44:20 PM »
hi all just a bit of advice wanted..... when out with our 6mth old tia she gets let of lead to hunt and scent around she has now began to chase any bird she see,s......sparrow to crow and tonite swallows over a river... not ideal if this carried on during a shoot in future.....
would i now be best to get her on a long line to be able to calm her down or is this just part of being a puppy..... her recall is fine once she has given chase.......just selective hearing for the first 10 birds and 50 yrd's...... :lol:
all tips greatly appreciated!!!!!
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!

Cazzie

Re: time for long lead???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
Id keep her in close as if you are going to work her you are teaching her that hunting out of control is acceptable and will be extremely difficult to correct. Start the way you mean to go on  :D

Offline jacnig

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:51:37 PM »
Hi

I would keep her near you for a bit could be just teenage rebellion but you dont want it to become a habit.

I have recently used a long line for that exact reason with Fern she was 5 months when she came to us and had been allowed to deveolp all sorts of bad habits but with a lot of work I am correcting tham but would have been easier if they had never been allowed to develop!!! :005:

selective hearing is very common in bitches!!! :005:
Jacqui and the cocker crew

Offline millrace

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 10:56:47 PM »
thought so on both counts ..... she is fine in cover will hunt not getting to far away just when in open grass or beach gets excited...tail goes and if i dont use whistle for stop quickly enough away she goes having a ball of a time....aint this training great fun....... :lol:

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 11:00:01 PM »
What would she do if a rabbit got up under her feet  :D

Offline millrace

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:08:23 PM »
a few days ago she was in middle of goarse with 3 rabbits who all sneaked behind her as she looked the other way and then looked at me as if to say "wht's going on and why are you sending me this way".... :lol: