Author Topic: Run away  (Read 1186 times)

Offline TRACY KING

Run away
« on: October 23, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »
Can anyone help plz as Honey will dart straight out of front door and into the road. I have 3 kids who do forget to shut door!!!!! >:( I'm trying to use sit and down, or avin her on a long lead by open door, so she gets so used to it. It wont ave any need to dart off again.? :huh:

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
Re: Run away
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 04:00:22 PM »
print a big notice in red capital letters saying something like DOG!!
 PLEASE SHUT DOOR and stick it inside the door. try a houseline you can buy them in PAH. just let it trail behind her so you can grab it should the unexpected happen. Sit your kids down and have a firm talk with them about the dangers of letting the dog out on to a road. do you have a gardem with a gate ( enclosed?) if so get a spring fitted so when its opened it springs back shut. put a notice on the gate as well.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:48:19 PM »
Do you have an internal door before the outside one or space in a corridor to fit a baby gate so that they have to go through gate before opening the door  :-\

Might make them think before they get to the door and if you angle the gate it should shut, or like Jean says, put a bungee on it to shut it thus keeping dog away from the front door.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline sueinthedoghouse

• Hello my name is Amber
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 01:20:56 PM »
Hi
not sure if this will help but I got so fed up with delivery men leaving our gate wide open despite 3 notices ie dogs running free , please shut the gate in 2 sizes etc , plus we put a large bell on the gate , and a push button bell that rings very loudly in the house ! - so in the end bought one of those number padlocks things so gate only opens a tiny bit before they get message cant get in ! plus dogs can't get out !!
so far its working - this prob not work on a front door am guessing . but maybe like mentioned by someone else a huge shut the door sign would be good !

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 10:23:09 AM »
I'd echo what others have said, get a safety gate if you can, educate the children to the dangers but ultimately you are responsible for ensuring safetly as they can't be relied on competely due to their age. Take dog to training to help master commands if you are having difficulties.

I just received the sad news this week that one of my 21 week old pups was killed by a car on a very quiet dirt road in front of his owner so tragedies can and do happen.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.