Author Topic: scottish docking ban effects  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: scottish docking ban effects
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »
I have been looking up some facts on the ban that came into place in sweden in 1989 as I know they have working cockers and field trials.
Some sites say since the ban 51% of dogs that would of have been docked but were left un docked have damaged their tails.
Some sites say the statistic related to working breeds and others say its from the general population, it also doesnt state the level of damage done to count as injury. Its hard to know how reliable it is as its on pro docking web sites.
Think thats going to be a good country to look at for info tho.

I think you'll find that that information is very biased too and based on a very small database of dogs  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 05:08:17 PM »
I have been looking up some facts on the ban that came into place in sweden in 1989 as I know they have working cockers and field trials.
Some sites say since the ban 51% of dogs that would of have been docked but were left un docked have damaged their tails.
Some sites say the statistic related to working breeds and others say its from the general population, it also doesnt state the level of damage done to count as injury. Its hard to know how reliable it is as its on pro docking web sites.
Think thats going to be a good country to look at for info tho.

I think you'll find that that information is very biased too and based on a very small database of dogs  :-\
I agree, you can manipulate statistics to say anything you want. I suppose all you can do is go with what you believe is best for your dogs until there is evidence one way or the other  :-\

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 07:21:33 PM »
We're in Scotland, Alfie's undocked and he works although he was born well before the ban so that's not why he wasn't done. He has had a few relatively minor injuries to the end of his tail when working and because he kept whacking it when wagging and when going into heavy cover it wouldn't heal so I started bandaging his tail on shoots. It's a bit of a pain tbh but saves both of us more pain in the long run. I think minor tail injuries in tailed working spaniels will be fairly common, the end of the tail is thin and splits easily.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 07:44:45 PM »
I did read somewhere once that 2/3 of the tail were left so the dog can cover and protect its genitals whilst working but I have never seen a dog do this as their tails are up and wagging constantly :005: So think thats an old wife's tail ::)

When a dog is very frightened the tail does go between the legs, so maybe there is some truth in it  :blink:

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »
In Oz we are trying to reverse the baning, look at the poor springers tail the bleeding would not stop for ages this was taken at a spaniel trial in August, not a rare occurrence, blackberry bushes, fences, the springers being white don't hide anything. Still being new at this try to keep mine out of harms way also being black it wouldn't be obvious, although Indi has a white tail.

Help us,  sign our petition it will only take one country to reverse the order then it should be easier for other countries.
http://www.ipetitions.com:80/petition/tailbanding/

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/winewood/springerstail.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/winewood/springerstail2.jpg

Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline kcj

• Site Member
  • The Gang
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 04:49:14 AM »
Hi

My dogs are docked and i find it all depends on the type off cover they are working in. I have been to shoots where the cover is nothing but long grass,trees and bushes, but i have been places where the brambles are so thick no person could get through without injury.
I once had to untangle my dog from barbed wire which is not an easy task when they are squealing and pulling away.
It should be an individual choice.
I have moved to New Zealand and i have a litter on the way, i can get tails dock if i wish, but they are trying to ban it here also.
Kirsten

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 07:13:30 AM »
In Oz we are trying to reverse the baning, look at the poor springers tail the bleeding would not stop for ages this was taken at a spaniel trial in August, not a rare occurrence, blackberry bushes, fences, the springers being white don't hide anything. Still being new at this try to keep mine out of harms way also being black it wouldn't be obvious, although Indi has a white tail.

Help us,  sign our petition it will only take one country to reverse the order then it should be easier for other countries.
http://www.ipetitions.com:80/petition/tailbanding/

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/winewood/springerstail.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e72/winewood/springerstail2.jpg

ears/lips/tongues take hours to stop bleeding and are frequently damaged - are you going to amputate them too?
helen & jarvis x

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »
If you read the petition, its not just about docking, its other issues as well and cocker's make the list
 "Governments are now discussing regulations which will devastate the canine world. That is, there are proposals for restrictions on the breeding & keeping of dog breeds which are often regarded as dangerous (eg., Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Terrier, German Shepherd Dog, Rottweiler), also dog breeds which animal welfare extremists say are so large that they are potentially dangerous (eg., > 45cm in height, or >15kg weight, eg., Std Schnauzer & Poodle, Labrador, Afghan Hound, Border Collie) & also breeds which those extremists declare to be “anatomically abnormal” (brachycephalic head, long body, long ears, etc., eg., Boxer, Griffon, Bulldog, Dachshund, Cocker Spaniel, Sharpei). "

My opinion only, but where is it all going to end, we will have no say in our dogs and breeds will disappear and we will end up with designer dogs, all small white fluffy, that won't bark, chase birds or game, or have any natural dog instincts no personality, no dog sports, small white fluffies won't have the stamina for agility, flyball, no brains for obedience, why not get a little robbot dog instead.
If government gets its way we will loose our dog parks, (our council already tried) , our dogs are not allowed in pubs, or anywhere where food is served ,our dogs are not allowed on beaches, only certain times of the day, ocean beaches certain times during summer. Not allowed on public transport, or cabs the list goes on.............

Sorry of soapbox now
Owned and trained by two mad cockers