Author Topic: Oh hell...  (Read 1204 times)

Offline hanandhen

Oh hell...
« on: January 22, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
Took Henry to a new shoot today - what I didn't realise was that they were doing a walked up shoot rather than drives since it was the last day. This meant the guns were much closer than normal, and thus much louder. He has never been bothered by shots before, but today he worked the first walk fine, but then someone took a potshot at a squirrel really close - it made me jump, never mind him! Unfortunately this came just after a break where we'd been hanging around while someone looked for a lost bird, and he'd been swimming so he was wet, cold and the adrenaline had obviously worn off. So when he was startled, he backed right off and got quite clingy :'(

I just let him walk with us for a bit, then encouraged him to start hunting again, which he did - but then something similar happened on the next walk :doh: Then on the one after that he got trampled by my mate's lab who was off after a bunny, bless him! He quartered across the field well, and there were few shots fired so that helped. But I am worried by the startling, he has never reacted to guns before at all :'(

We are meant to be going to our usual shoot next week, I am a bit in two minds about whether to go now. Part of me thinks we should get back on the horse, and that he'll be happier in a more familiar environment and with his canine buddies who don't bulldoze him ph34r The other part of me is worried he might end up scared of guns, which would be a nightmare.

Poor Henry :'(

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Oh hell...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:09:58 PM »
Was he just startled the one time or was it for the rest of the day?

If it was just the one time when the gun went off close, I think I'd go to the shoot. If it set a pattern for the day, think I'd either skip the shoot and go back to "Gun training 101" or go to the shoot with that, and only that in mind and stay well back, working your way up slowly depending on his reaction. Everytime the guns go off should be wonderful, throw a dummy, and set him up for a good retrieve and a reward.

THe guns are critical and you don't want to ruin him so don't push him harder than what he can handle. At the first sign of "I'm not happy mum, this is scaring me" either move further away from the guns or go home. If you start well back you will know where his comfort zone is
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline hanandhen

Re: Oh hell...
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:49:25 PM »
It was just a couple of times - once when a shot went off right behind us and scared the pants off me too, and once when we were waiting about after we had been through a patch of woods, he wandered over to where four or five of the guns were, and then a late pheasant came up and all of them shot at it at once (and missed, I might add!).

He did get his mojo back, but then he got squished as well... poor lad!

I think I will take him along as I can pick a line that keeps us away from the guns and he will be in familiar surroundings with all his buddies - if he looks unhappy we can always go home again. I think if I don't go I'll spend all summer fretting about it tbh.

On the upside I was very pleased with the way he quartered across the stubble - admittedly he didn't quite keep his concentration all the way across but he was doing very well for a while.

Henry, and Molly the Arch Spaniel Squidger!