Author Topic: fox shooting laws, advice please  (Read 3579 times)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
fox shooting laws, advice please
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
Could someone in the shooting fraternity tell me what rules marksmen culling foxes have to observe?  There are six houses quite close together where we live,  loads of foxes and a rapidly shrinking number of pet chickens including mine.  A neighbour with a few acres of land has invited a shooter to kill foxes on his land, last seen as a pack of five. There is a public footpath across the field, neighbours with horses and children. He hasn't warned us about the bloke, the first I knew was from a fellow dog walker who encountered him  at 9am on the footpath, challenged him, and he said he hadn't been told about the path. The next door neighbour saw him up a tree on her boundary and spoke to him as well, though he told her he was shooting rats.
I am now worried to death about my large ginger cat, poisoned rats for dogs and cats, and my friend's horses.
Should we have been informed, should the police know?
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Re: fox shooting laws, advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:04:55 PM »
I'm sorry i can't help you with facts about shooting laws,but wanted to say i wouldn't hesitate to ring the local police and ask them.

Sounds very worrying  :-\
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
OH gosh, that doesn't sound quite right :-\

I know our neighbouring farmer has decided to shoot foxes in his sheep field this year - he hasn't done in previous years but they've taken 3 of his lambs this spring (it's only a very small hobby farm) and as he pointed out there are more than enough rabbits and pheasants for them to feed from around here but they've got a taste for his lambs now :-\ However, it's his field and there are no footpaths running through it... I'd definitely contact the police and ask there advice

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »
Not sure why you're worried about poisoned rats when he's shooting  :huh: I would ask the farmer for the shooter's contact details and give him a quick call to let him know about your cat and ask him any questions you may have to alleviate your concerns. It is quite common for landowners to invite shooters to control vermin (especially foxes and rabbits). 

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 07:17:31 PM »
I think she is worried the dogs might eat the poisoned rats.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:26:19 PM »
I think she is worried the dogs might eat the poisoned rats.

But he said he was shooting the rats, not poisoning them. Her post doesn't mention rats (or anything else) being poisoned, just shot. Or have I missed something  :huh:

Offline PippaMattinson

• Site Member
    • Pippa Mattinson
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
Hi there

It is not an offence for shooting to take place in a field that has a public footpath.  Though of  course anyone doing so must take due care to avoid endangering members of the public or causing a nuisance.

On land surrounded by houses etc, it is normal to used a raised position such as a high seat or an upstairs window,  to ensure the safe trajectory of the bullet. Which would probably be why the gentleman in question was up a tree.

In this particular case,  what concerns me is that the person shooting had not familiarised themselves with public rights of way on the land concerned, a fundamental part of preparation before using a rifle on any piece of land.  

Though it could be that he said this so as to end the conversation as  quickly as possible!

Pippa

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
Thanks for the advice,really useful.
As the  intention is to get rid of the foxes, when he told  someone he was after rats, i thought that he may be laying them as poisoned bait as well as just shooting the foxes.
Its interesting to mention shooting from a raised position, that obviously keeps stray shot/bullets going way, way on.
On reflection, I am not so annoyed with him, but livid that the unpleasant owner of the property couldn't be bothered to tell us to take care.
Thanks Megandmolly for the Ramblers guide to shooting, very clear and concise.
The odd thing is that we haven't heard any bangs yet!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:17:01 AM »
i would def contact him about your cat, as if its ginger he will prob shoot first and look later, it will give you a chance to find out exactly what is going on
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
The odd thing is that we haven't heard any bangs yet!
I doubt you will hear any bangs as he is probably using a silencer and rifles are much quieter than shotguns anyway. My mate that kills foxes for farmer usies a sliencer and a high powered rifle so that the kill is quick and clean but it also means that he doesn't have to wait all night for another fox to appear. He got 5 one night. I don't like it, but these foxes were taking everyones chickens despite the abundance of rabbits.
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »
Have you called the police?

Owning a gun is oone thing -- using it in a public place is another. If he hasn't informed the police and doesn't have their permission then he is likely to have an armed response team descend on him. Think Raul Mote.

I was walking the woods that I often go to and heard gun shots. What am I supposed to do? Leave the woods in case one of us gets hurt? Call the police because I have no idea who is shooting what (or who)?

I like guns and would own guns for pleasure if the laws weren't so ridiculous (restricting them completely rather than appropriate controls) but using them in a public place without proper planning or informing local residents and the police of the times that they will be shooting? Sounds wrong to me.

Offline PippaMattinson

• Site Member
    • Pippa Mattinson
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 11:05:32 AM »
but using them in a public place without proper planning or informing local residents and the police of the times that they will be shooting? Sounds wrong to me.

Hi Pete
The use of a firearm by an authorised person, does not require the permission of the police each time shooting takes place.   If it did,  the police would be unable to cope with the paperwork!  Several members of my own family for example shoot on a daily basis.  To expect the police to monitor all that activity would be a hugely expensive exercise.   Instead of monitoring every shooting activity that takes place, the law sets  down stringent standards for the type of person that can be issued with certificates for the use of firearms and shotguns.

Everyone authorised to use a rifle such as that used to control foxes,   is issued with a firearms certificate.  In all cases this certificate will specify a piece of land where that firearm can be used.  In addition, long standing and very experienced certificate holders may be issued an ‘open’ certificate which means that they can use their rifle on any piece of land where it is safe to do so,  and where the  landowner has granted permission.
Although there is no obligation to inform the police each time shooting takes place,   in urban areas it is often a good idea to do this in order to avoid the ‘armed response’ scenario.
Informing members of the public is a very different matter and not an approach that would be recommended by the police.  The result would simply be an outcry by all those that cannot bear the thought  for example, of a fox being shot,  no matter how many chickens are going missing.   It is not possible to carry out pest control with a rifle,  if the local community are staging a ‘sit in’ around the very chickens you are trying to protect! :o

I was walking the woods that I often go to and heard gun shots. What am I supposed to do? Leave the woods in case one of us gets hurt? Call the police because I have no idea who is shooting what (or who)?
Shooting takes place throughout the year in much of the British countryside.  In my part of Hampshire it is entirely normal to hear shots fired from time to time. It is virtually unheard of for members of the public to be shot by those participating in legal shooting activities.   Our safety record in the UK is second to none, and there are strict codes of practice governing shooting with regard to where and when a shot may be taken. 
The legitimate shooting community,  in response to the activities of ‘antis’  has in recent years become extremely discrete in  going about their perfectly legal activities.  Rifles and shotguns are usually sleeved and put away if members of the public approach, in order to avoid distressing them.   When in the past we would simply have walked past,  with the gun over an arm, and said good morning politely.
Unfortunately one of the effects of all this discretion is to make the public less aware of the shooting that takes place around them,  and more alarmed when they come across someone shooting legally.   I also think that all this secrecy makes it harder for members of the public to determine whether or not someone is shooting lawfully.
Whilst a disaster like that which took place in the Lake District recently is very frightening for the general public, it is worth remembering that almost all gun crime in the UK is committed by those holding firearms illegally,  and in urban areas.  It is also worth pointing out that the shooting community in the UK is one of the most law abiding, and mentally healthy group of individuals in the country,  such are the rules governing the holding of certificates,  and it is standard procedure to remove guns from anyone suffering from mental health problems or convicted of criminal offences.   You are likely to be very safe indeed, in the presence of a person who has a firearm certificate.

I like guns and would own guns for pleasure if the laws weren't so ridiculous (restricting them completely rather than appropriate controls)
Actully, I don’t think our laws are ridiculous.   The police vet anyone who wants a firearm certificate and review that certificate every five years in case that person’s circumstances have changed.  They come to your home, interview you, and speak with your GP to make sure you are not mentally ill or depressed.   They make sure that you have a genuine purpose for gun ownership, and that your guns are securely stored.  And they take them away if you break the law.

If only such care were taken when issuing driving licences. :D
If you have good reason to believe that someone is shooting illegally in the countryside, then it makes sense to phone the landowner to check that they have given permission. If they have not done so, then it makes sense for you or them to phone the police. 
If the shooting is taking place in an urban setting, that is a different matter, and you should definitely inform the police.  If the activity is legitimate they are likely to have already been informed in advance

I hope that helps

Pippa

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
Thanks Pippa for your excellent posts on this thread which are really helpful  :D 

Nice to see you on the board...and going completely off topic, am loving your avatar photo  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Thanks Pippa for your excellent posts on this thread which are really helpful  :D 

Totally agree, your posts are very informative  :D
Janet & Poppy