Author Topic: Lulu & Tia's 2011 penultimate Scurry  (Read 1079 times)

Offline SteveB

• Donator
Lulu & Tia's 2011 penultimate Scurry
« on: September 19, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »
1 more after this  
This starts on saturday morning when Andrea decided to take Lulu training on the dummies ready for the big one the next day. Needless to say that Andrea came home rather frustrated  :lol2: We have decided that Lulu has a selective middle ear problem as she cant run in a straight line. Point her straight and she veers to the right. Sometimes she comes back left sometimes she continues going right. Then proceeds to run in ever increasing circles until she finds the dummy (or one of the other dogs dummies) jumping in every tussoch and puddle she can find. The next dummy straight out and back no problem. Who knows what she is going to do the next time. So one frustrated owner returned home after 3 hours with a head ache etc
So the Midland show here we come. 2 hours driving we arrive about 11. Lots of dogs everywhere Mitsubushi challenge (one of those Sprrr spaniels owners took a Mitsubusi home with them 1st time a Spaniel has won it (I told Andrea be no point Lulu winning it as we couldnt get it home as Andrea had the wrong shoes on)).
Anyway on to the scurries.
Bit of a concern to start with as they were using those dummies that look like a stretched tennis ball. But hey were there to compete and a well trained dog will retrieve anything  :lol2:  
Lulu first onto the up and over 5 solid wood panels have to pick up 2 dummies and back. Not a bad time 19 secs top dog was just over 16 seconds. Then we entered Tia in the two novice hidden just to see how she goes. To be honest she went well for her first attempt and completed it in just over 20 seconds best time were in the high 16 plus seconds. Didn't enter Lulu as she has won novice scurries before  :rofl1:
So we entered them both in the short fence. Launcher over a low fence and straight retrieve. Lulu went first and it landed inside a bush (luck of the draw). Went round the bush before she decided that it had landed in the bush and returned in about 17 seconds. 12 seconds to beat. Anyway Tia was next no problems straight out straight back and what did she do spit out the dummy 2ft from the box. Andrea sent her out a couple of steps and returned it. The timer said up until she spat it out she would of completed in under 11 seconds. (12 seconds went on to win the event).
Then we went shopping  :doh: Another 2 leads were purchased in more bright colours (how many leads can a Cocker have?) Then my worse fears came to the forefront Andrea saw a blue flag fluttering in the distance calling to her. As we got closer I could make out the Gold writing Dubarry written on it I tried all my distraction tips like, awwwww look at that Cocker puppy, they got some nice leads in that stall etc etc but failed miserably. So I was left outside with the hooligans and beads of sweat on my forehead, looking around I was comforted by the fact that there were other husbands in pretty much the same condition. I thought of ringing her to make up some excuse why she should rush out, but decided that me feeling faint was not going to work.  Do I let go of the Cockers so that they could cause mayhem in the stall looking for their mummy(not that brave). Here Andrea comes after 10 minutes and I was waiting for the question  "can I have your credit card" She didn't, just started off with I tried them on and they are lovely a bargain only £290 something (didnt hear the full amount as my brain was still trying to comprehend  wellies that start at 200 hundred pound something). Then she said but I cant buy them today as they don't carry stock only samples for you to try on :dance04: :dance04: You have to order them online (I wont remind her if you don't).
Anyway back to the scurries. We entered Tia in the short fence and the Novice scurry. Unfortunately she didn't repeat her earlier performance's didn't get the bounce of the launcher and in the two hidden. one of the dummies was thrown in the bush and it took her a little while to work out where it was but still completed it in 25 seconds.
Andrea then came back and said she had entered Lulu twice in the hopping hare (I had my reservations) For those not in the know:- it comprises of piles of branches dotted around the course. The dog is shown a dummy which is thrown into one of these piles. As she runs out a dummy on a length of elastic it is retracted across her path into another pile, which she must leave (now you understand my reservation).  Straight out she goes to the dummy in the in the pile then the one flashes past her. Yes she went for the elasticated one. After 4 or 5 attempts to bring it back to Andrea with Andrea shouting for her to leave it and the dummy springing back, she decided that she would try and kill it instead by shaking it.. Then to add to the chaos the launcher goes off two courses down (as you may or not be aware Lulu has a fixation with launchers). She stops attacking the dummy sits up and takes off clearing the barrier fence as if its not there and only just got beaten by the lab who was chasing the launcher dummy. Back she comes to Andrea who then walks her out to the first thrown dummy which she finds and returns to the box wagging her tail. By this time a crowd had gathered who were finding it very amusing. They must of thought she was some kind of how not to do it exhibition because nobody moved when they saw that Andrea was going to let her have another go (can't swear to it but I am sure there were people on mobiles phoning friends to come and watch) and the crowd even grew. Lulu didn't disapoint same as before out she went straight to the thrown dummy, other dummy goes speeding past quickly followed by Lulu. This time change of tactic.  instead of trying to return it she decided it would be more fun running around the pile of branches at least three times to the crowds delight . Destroying the carefully piled branches. Got fed up with that game and went to the thrown dummy and returned it to Andrea to crowds applause and amusement. Left that scurry with the poor helpers trying to untangle the elastic and undoing knots. You have got to be concerened about the mental health of some people walking our streets, apart from the numerous well done's both to Andrea and Lulu. one old guy wanted to take her home. Then he said will have to look out for you two next year.
Last but not least Andrea decided she would try Lulu in the novice just to compare her against Tia. Now she was hyper and decided to run around the piles of branches, through the branches and over the branches. She even perfected a new trick and stands on her back legs now to look over the branches. She eventually retrieved the two dummies again to the amusement of the crowd. Andrea didn' ask her time. After that we decided to call it a day. Got stuck in traffic jam and arrived home just after 8
Dogging in next week then the week after Gatcombe park home of Princess Anne (have heard she is known to walk around the fair). So this could be the last report as we could end up in the tower.
If you think this posting is long wait for the end of year report  (with pics to prove that she can behave sometimes  :lol2:)
Thanks for reading
Steve