Author Topic: KC Gundog Training Days for Novice Handlers course - 4 locations/dates  (Read 3206 times)

Offline spaniel04

Re: KC Gundog Training Days for Novice Handlers course - 4 locations/dates
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Field trials are always on live game and therefore are held during the shooting season. During the close season gun dog clubs will hold working tests and usually dummies will be used in these tests but some also use cold game.
If your dog is fast and likes retrieving why not have a look at scurries. Huge fun for the dogs and spectators. The dogs don't have to be KC reg, and even though some competitors take it extremely serious and are very competitive it is really just for the fun of it.  ;)

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 06:26:26 PM »
Assessment done!  Pearl was great and did really well :003:  I have a lot to learn but now have a happy/sleepy dog who is very well behaved this evening!

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »
Oo J ... Where did you go for that? I'd be interested to take Hazel along.
Could you send me some details please?  :D

For £30 this kc course looks good though I'd be scared very serious gun dog folk would be there, as opposed to 'pet owners' looking for a little more. Maybe I will see what she's like at an assessment  :D
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
I'm going to send an email to KC about the course because although it does say "novice" and doesn't indicate anything about being only a stepping stone to full Field Trial/gunwork, the assumption is probably that people are aiming at the serious sport rather than pets. I'll let you know.

Scurries sound like a good alternative for us wusses who don't shoot. I have shot but the only guns I've handled in the last 10 years are one day of clay pigeon shooting, and Call of Duty - one of those really doesn't count.  :shades:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
Hi,

Assessment was over by Leek at www.ironpitts.co.uk - very good set up with scurries and a pond!  Would highly recommend Kelly - one of our colleagues knows them well, will send more info when back in tomorrow.

J

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
Oops! that should have been www.ironpitts-gundogs.co.uk

The two springers were awesome in action!  Pearl did really well - just proved how much I have to learn and that its all about consistency...practising today she is very much calmer/steadier already!