Author Topic: Toby's 1st gundog test ........  (Read 2437 times)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Toby's 1st gundog test ........
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:40:03 PM »
Just wanted to give you all a little update on Toby's progress so far & how he fared in his 1st gundog test.

Lessons are going really well, with his trainer very pleased with progress so far  - so much so, she thought it would be good experience for him to enter his 1st test.
We were entered into special puppy & it consisted of 3 individual tests :-
1. quartering + 2 controlled retrieves
2. water retrieve
3. quartering + sending in for blind retrieve

The 1st test was our highest scoring  :005:  - when instructed, he had to quarter through woods - sit to whistle when 2 dummies thrown by helpers hidden in the woods & to retrieve when instructed & return with each dummy in turn - we scored 11/20 points .
We dropped points when Toby set off for one dummy before being told (he's just keen  :lol2: ) & dropping a dummy on returning to me.

The 2nd was our lowest scoring test  ph34r  - Toby had to sit, enter water when told, to retrieve a dummy that had been thrown in by helper.
Toby was superb & did everything asked beautifully - He sat to whistle, entered the water when told & swam out to said dummy .....sadly Toby's not used a water dummy yet & he swam out to it twice but had the look of 'no, that's not mine??' & came back without it - despite doing everything asked we got nil point due to not completing the test  :012:

The 3rd test was quartering through woods ('heavy with the scent of pheasants'  :013:) sit to whistle, then retrieve dummy thrown by helper unseen by Toby. Toby found the dummy but with a little help from his handler that wasn't necessary  ph34r ..... not sure of this score (think we got something  ph34r :lol2: ) as I had to put my score card in my pocket quick as Toby decided to have a quick round (or 2 or 3!!  :005: ) of honour of the pheasant scented woods & it started to persist down with rain  :lol2:

It was great fun, highlighted points of training that need extra work but also showed Toby's strengths too - he's quick , he's keen & he's so patient with his inexperienced handler  ph34r :005:
Embarrassingly , we were nearly non starters right from the off when I left our score sheet in the car (needs to be marked after every test  ph34r )  ph34r ....realised I hadn't even got Toby's new lucky collar when we arrived & he had to wear his old one  :doh: & fluffed up on some of the test requirements ..... but mainly because we haven't covered them yet  ;)

Lots of people I don't know, in  test environment would normally be my idea of a bad time but stuck with it , with Toby making it such a pleasure.
I'm looking forwards to moving on to the next step of training with Toby & our trainer & perhaps more tests too ............ but may have to rethink my attire somewhat  :rofl1: ....thank doG Toby doesn't care what I wear that's all i can say  :005: :luv:

off to post some up  to date pics of The Bear in photos section  ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Toby's 1st gundog test ........
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »
You know Linds.... given you hadn't trained for one of them and had no idea of what to expect etiquette wise, something which can easily throw you right off your game, I think it sounds like you did really well  :shades:  :luv:
I suspect the water retrieve will turn into a walk in the park for Mr Tobes  :luv:
Keep at it!  ;) 
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:18:50 PM »
You know Linds.... given you hadn't trained for one of them and had no idea of what to expect etiquette wise, something which can easily throw you right off your game, I think it sounds like you did really well  :shades:  :luv:
I suspect the water retrieve will turn into a walk in the park for Mr Tobes  :luv:
Keep at it!  ;) 

water dummy bought & tested today Lisa  ......... no problem  :dance04:   (just got to keep paws crossed he's not one of these doglets that will only retrieve 'his own' dummies  :005: )

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:56 PM »
Sounds like you are both doing really well Lindsey  :clapping: :clapping:..........do you think you and Toby could give Mollie and I some tips    :P we are failing miserably with whistle recall   :huh:

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
 :clapping: :clapping:
Well done Lindsey and Toby - hell if you enjoyed it who cares what scores you got  ;) top job  :lol: :luv:
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
Keep at it!  ;) 

water dummy bought & tested today Lisa  ......... no problem  :dance04:   (just got to keep paws crossed he's not one of these doglets that will only retrieve 'his own' dummies  :005: )

I've got one of those - we had dreams of scurries but if another dog has slobbered on a dummy he just looked at it with disgust.....still it's not the end of the world and we manage perfectly well scurry-less  :lol2:

Well done for Test 1, as long as you both enjoy it I don't think scores matter  ;) :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 01:01:04 PM »
Well done Linds & Toby  :clapping: :clapping:
Either way, its sounds like great fun & of course you are both learning together  :luv: :luv:
I'm sure Toby wouldn't have minded about his new collar  :luv: 
there is always so much to try to remember when learning new training etc  :shades: 
at least an RAC man wasn't needed  ph34r :005:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »
Well done Linds & Toby  :clapping: :clapping:
Either way, its sounds like great fun & of course you are both learning together  :luv: :luv:
I'm sure Toby wouldn't have minded about his new collar  :luv: 
there is always so much to try to remember when learning new training etc  :shades: 
at least an RAC man wasn't needed  ph34r :005:

you joke Wendy but I was so paranoid I would do my usual party piece, I left the keys hidden under the car just incase   :013:  :lol2:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
Well done Lindsey and Toby sounds like he did really well for his first test (even though I didn't have a clue what you were talking about  ph34r) :luv:
Sounds like you both had a great time and thats what it should be about, enjoy your next one, off to look for photos of the handsome one now ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline wendyt

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
Well done Lindsey and Toby :clapping: :clapping:
Sounds like you had a great time, it doesn't matter about the scores it was the first test for you both and at least now you know what to expect and what you need to work on. :D

We are having lessons at the moment which I'm really enjoying but last week my trainer told me that maybe we should leave Indy at home, and just concentrate on me ph34r. Seriously I find it so rewarding, he's so keen and quick just like Toby and when he makes a mistake I know I'm usually to blame.
I know what you mean about changing attire though, I got so muddy last week that I just had to have a new pair of olive green waterproof overtrousers. Strangely I was quite excited at the prospect of geting them :-\

Looking forward to the photos.

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 05:57:18 PM »
We met Toby on the Weymouth dog meet up and he was very impressive then.

You must be proud of your handsome man  and it is so enjoyable doing activities with our dog friends.

My youngest dog Uisce (Ishker)  and my 5 month pup have started gundog training and we are loving it .

Hero and Woody continue their agility and send woofs.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »
We met Toby on the Weymouth dog meet up and he was very impressive then.

You must be proud of your handsome man  and it is so enjoyable doing activities with our dog friends.

My youngest dog Uisce (Ishker)  and my 5 month pup have started gundog training and we are loving it .

Hero and Woody continue their agility and send woofs.

Thanks Dianna & nice to hear from you  ;)
good to hear you've started gundog training too - I'm finding it fascinating & really gives you an insight into what makes these special little dogs tick  :luv:
We have done a second test since this one ...scoring 40/60  :happydance:   so improvements are definitely being made  :D
Where abouts are you going Dianna?