Author Topic: Cocker or Springer?  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Cocker or Springer?
« on: June 06, 2012, 11:20:23 PM »
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I want to ask people with workers which Spangle would fit in with my Talington? Tali is still fighting SA but he is getting used to being with only OH for short periods and even has a new favourite place....the window sill!

OH is desperate to start looking for a rescue working spangle when I finally move in - dates still not set as now social services not got their act together, but I favour cockers and thought I had talked OH out of a working springer as he has never had a Spangle let alone a working type.

Can anyone give any advice on how driven a springer is against a cocker? And which would be better living with one or maybe two show cockers?

Thanks.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Cocker or Springer?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 07:25:09 AM »
either Mel  ;)  Makes no difference.  I actually think Springers are slightly easier than working cockers so would suggest he go down this route.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
Springers are great and incredibly intelligent. Jonny saved Jess's life when she was a pup!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I will bear this in mind. Still much research for us both though.

Free Cake!

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:01:03 AM »
from the limited, compared to some, knowledge I have of working cockers V springers I would say (although there are always exceptions to the rules  ;) ) that Springers possibly have one extra 'mature gene' than cockers   :005:

With patience, a sense of humour & a love of their vivacity for life, either are just wonderful   :luv:

I can't praise them highly enough & a rescue even more so  :angel:  I know you're down south like me Mel but when you start to look, please don't discount the northern rescues (like NESSR ) just because of the distance ...they will rehome to where ever the right home might be  ;)

(have you looked on Dorset Dog Rescues FB page ...... the cocker X puppies  :004:  ...don't look!  :lol2: )
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
No I try to refrain from looking. OH has times where he looks too much.

I should have said he does intend to go beating with a dog but of course intention and actually finding the time don't always work!

Free Cake!

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »
 :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 07:40:09 PM »
not sure why the  :huh: but I'm assuming you're surprised I would recommend a working springer over a working cocker?

Well, this is Mel's partners first working dog and in my very honest opinion I feel working springers are a little easier to train than a high drive working cocker.  I'd also recommend a working lab too  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »
Oh no I just spent ages typing a response as I have both a springer and a cocker both working strain but lost it.

The long and short is that my experience is that the cocker (Sash) is more intelligent than the springer (Chloe). Both are wonderful and I would find it hard to choose. But Sash requires much more stimulation than Chloe and even after along day out she wants to play particularly at night. Chloe on the other hand is very content at home and doesn't look for anything, she is quite happy just to sleep and dream of rabbits and squirrels (which she does often). Shash is also more stubborn to coax into doing what I want her to do and more choosy about when she wishes to "work" when out. I say "work" as I don't actually work them but do give them a lot of exercise beach, woodlands etc.

Chloe is daft as a brush and she will run and run and run looking for anything but not really planning where as Sash will look watch and think about what her plan of action is.

All in all it depends what your looking for I would say that Chloe is most definitely and easier dog and much more timid. Sash on the other hand is hard work but she is an absolute fantastic companion and is far more interactive with us.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions just ask.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline Sasha B

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
Hi Helen no hopefully you can see from my next post I just lost my long post with my thoughts somehow. The  :huh: :huh: :huh: was all that was left. I too would probably go for the springer as above.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
 :lol2: Hate it when that happens!
helen & jarvis x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
we have got ourselves a cocker to come with us beating. she is now 14 months old. training is coming along nicely considering we only have books and much sought out advice. gemma is headstrong and strong willed. but all the more fun i think. we have both taken equal share in her time, and in return she will respond to either of us  whether it be voice or whistle. Go with you own feelings and pick the dog you want. our past dogs have been staffs and border terriers. gemma took us out of our comfort zone, Boy, do I love the wild side  >:D
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mel

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 01:50:06 AM »
Thank you all for you advice. I think he would love either though he errs towards a springer, however, I should point out he has had a good hand in training Fungus the working cocker where he works.

To be honest though, if I didn't worry about Tali's eye getting hurt and if he didn't have a full tail, I think Tali would make an excellent worker. He loves having a job to do :005:

Free Cake!

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 08:06:35 PM »
I would go for a springer.  Also, I think more springers come into rescue so might make it a bit easier finding one - not cos anything's wrong with them - just cos I think there's more of them maybe?  (Just my opinion.)

Offline Gordon

• Sleepy days
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »
Springer bitches mature faster than Dogs and are quicker to learn, dogs are more headstrong and mature later in the training stages, IMO Springers learn quicker than Cockers, but Springers require more stimulation to keep their busy minds working, the main reason why there are more Springers for rescue is that the owners cannot cope with there constant 24/7 on the go all the time, different mind set to Cockers. IMO