Author Topic: Hazels first gun dog training assessment / training session  (Read 1519 times)

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
So, the chocolate terror and I went along to our first gun dog training session today thanks to Pearly :)

Despite the weather being very wet and windy we had a fab time, I think Hazel would have had a better time if she'd been allowed to charge around like a lunatic more, but we were there to learn not be idiots  :005:

She was very good, I was very proud. I have some habits to 'unlearn' - I tend to give a commands following with a gesture that I don't mean to associate with  ph34r

Lara (trainer) said that Hazel has some good potential, is very bright and that I'm a quiet steady handler, so between us we should do well  :D
She also couldn't believe that Hazel was only 9months because she was so focused and responsive, I said I that she was a terror!

Overall, a fab day - thanks again to Pearly for letting us tag along  :D
I just wish it was a bit closer so I could go more often!
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: Hazels first gun dog training assessment / training session
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
Sounds like really positive feed back Kelly - so pleased you both enjoyed your training session  :D  :luv:

As well as great fun, it's so interesting - you learn how switch on some dogs are & the tiny but confusing signals we humans can give off   :P

If you've found the trainer who's right for you two, the travelling will be worth it but the not going so often might not be that much of a problem you think it is - sometimes, depending on homework we're given to work on, Toby's lessons can be a month apart  ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline KellyT

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
thanks Lindsey :)
It's definitely interesting - I was amazed at how 'nosy' Hazel is - we were learning to 'hunt', 2 pips to get her attention and then, "ooo whats this, there there" and a rummage in the bushes and she's over in a bound sticking her face in  :lol2:

I was thinking I'd just go once a month, maybe I'll see how we get on with it :)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
Sometimes, the lesson learn't seems to be covered over & over again & it could be for the appearingly simple command but when you move on to the next step, (or a few steps along the training  ;) )  the importance of really getting the command conditioned into both you & the dog becomes clear ....... once the seemingly simple stages are sound, the more difficult commands become easier to learn if that makes sense  ;) 
but I'm one of those who's happy to take as long as it takes, doing it our way  :lol2: - perhaps there are quicker methods but although I want to get to where we're going, I'm enjoying the journey just as much  :luv:

enjoy the journey too Kelly  :-*  - you'll have a different bond with Hazel too & have a better understanding of what makes her, her  :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline redlottie

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »
Hi Kelly glad you enjoyed it... I was the lady with the unruly black working cocker that was watching your session.

We have been going to lara for about 2.5 years and just love it.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »
Well done Hazel  :D Where do you go Kelly? I keep thinking it might be something we take up with Willow once she is back to full strength. xx

Offline Sarah/G

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time kelly, well done to you and Hazel  :luv: xx
Sarah & Brodie.

www.whatthewoof.co.uk       "Now live"

Offline KellyT

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Hi Kelly glad you enjoyed it... I was the lady with the unruly black working cocker that was watching your session.

We have been going to lara for about 2.5 years and just love it.

oh hello! He wasn't that unruly .. well until he pee'd on the chair  :005:

Up at a place called Ironpitts gundogs Maddy - it's on the staffordshire/derbyshire border, it was quite far, but really good  :D