Author Topic: Poor Archie  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Poor Archie
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:44:51 PM »
So, as many of you know, Archie regularly has trouble with allergies and his skin during the summer. He creates lick granulomas (raw sore patches) on his legs and feet. Antihistamines, Non stinky stuff in his food and applied to the sore spot early have managed to keep it under control but when it’s bad I have to resort to steroids and antibiotics.

Early in the summer he developed a new one and NOTHING has worked. Every time it looked like we were turning a corner, it flared up again. Archie has been wearing a collar and I’ve been trapped at home not even able to leave him alone in a room without supervision. Last week the vet took a swab. He was pretty convinced it wouldn’t show anything untoward but he wanted to check. We got the results back today and he was stunned to discover 2 infections. One is pseudomonas and it is resistant to almost all antibiotics. There is one more we can try but it can mutate and become resistant even to that. I pick it up tomorrow. I have no idea what happens if it doesn’t work. 😳 Fingers crossed I don’t have to face that particular hurdle.

I’m so relieved to finally know what’s causing it but wishing it was something a bit easier to deal with!
(Pic is the current state of his foot. This is a massive improvement to be honest. If you look closely you can see it was entirely bald from toes to halfway up his leg - but the fur is growing back on most of it.)

5-B4-A3063-6-E8-D-44-A1-B35-D-0-B282-C9-D8-AE0" border="0

Offline revis

Re: Poor Archie
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 09:40:22 PM »
Poor Archie it looks so sore.I hope that the new anti biotic works.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 12:28:43 AM »
Ouch that does look sore, poor lad.

Hope the vets meds work and it will heal quickly. Will keep fingers and paws crossed for a good result.

A couple of these for you both, sent with healing vibes.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline IonaD

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:19:24 AM »
Poor Archie!! Hope the antibiotics work and it clears everything up.x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:36:08 AM »
Poor lad!!! I do hope the vet‘s can get on top of it, it looks so sore! Sending bags of  :bigarmhug: for both you and Archie.
 Come on folks, lets get some of this COL magic working for Archie, lots of healing vibes have been known to work wonders in the past!

Offline daydreams

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 07:24:58 AM »
hope this new treatment works

healing thoughts winging their way :bigarmhug:

Offline lescef

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »
Ohhh  that looks so sore. Sending healing vibes. Does he have a pro biotic like Kefir to help balance the gut? X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Online Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
Oh poor boy....do hope that this treatment clears it up soon.....sending healing thoughts and gentle :bigarmhug:
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Darwin

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 07:43:15 PM »
Hope the new meds work.
Fingers and Paws crossed

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »
Pseudomonas can be treated with bathing with cider vinegar /water 50:50.    Has been used in hospitals till drug companies  brought in pricey drugs, and Nhs guidelines insisted on treatment protocols.
Only snag is that care must be taken with broken skin, where the acidi the vinegar could sting.
The Jack and Jill verse is centuries old,vinegar and brown paper.   
When I picked grapes in France,long ago, the old men told us to rub grape juice on our cuts from the knife,  and we never got infections.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 04:03:42 PM »
I've used cider vinegar too for this
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 04:05:49 PM »
It also looks like the hotspots Lady used to develop too - we used sulfasalzine too
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 12:48:07 PM »
Rosie had a spate of grass seeds in paws....after two lots of visits and antibiotics both time a local lady who is a dog breeder suggested using Leucillin, an antispetic spray that is completely natural and promotes natural self healing.Have used ever since, not just on infected grass seed wounds but on cuts and grazes.I figure its not going to do any harm and if it works, which so far it has everytime, it means no vet visit and no antibiotics.Pets at Home sell it.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 02:53:34 PM »
How is Archie now?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 10:41:26 PM »
How is Archie now?

Thanks for asking. Well, eventually the treatment worked and his foot is now totally clear and we have fur back on it  :D. At least THAT foot is clear. In the last couple of days he’s started showing signs of licking at a different foot so it could all be about to kick off again. I’m watching him like a hawk!