Author Topic: Anti pull harness.  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Rollo58

Anti pull harness.
« on: December 30, 2019, 07:28:23 AM »
Hi
We’re thinking of an anti pull harness as Archie is getting worse on the lead.He pulls so hard he struggles to breathe and his front legs are off the floor.
We’ve tried getting him to heel after puppy class to no avail so happy to have him slightly ahead as long as the lead is loose.
I know he’s still young at 7 months .
Has anybody had success with a harness and which one.
Not looking for perfection just so that walking is more pleasurable for Archie as well as us.

Thank you

Offline Barry H

Re: Anti pull harness.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 08:54:19 AM »
I'm sure you'll get loads of different replies as everyone has their favourite.  Can give you a very strong recommendation for this one (made by Ancol).  Bit of a learning curve, but designed to guide a pulling dog around so they are facing you.  It works.

Have had the medium for the past 3 years used in all weathers and it's still going strong.  You may need to start off with the small.  Original purpose (not pulling) long since unnecessary, but it's a doddle to take on and off (one clip), quick drying and fits well so pointless for me looking for anything else TBH.

http://www.puredoglisteners.com/products/happy-at-heel-harness.php

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Ancol-Happy-At-Heel-Harness-Lead-Set/c35517/

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 11:40:10 AM »
Harnesses don’t prevent pulling but they do avoid potential damage from pulling to the dogs neck. Using one with a front as well as back clip and a double ended lead can be helpful as it steers the dog round gently but still only persistent training will prevent pulling.
 We are at the same point with our 10 month old boy ..... he is great in familiar territory now but in a new place or a dog up front he does the same as yours he’s so excited😀 work in progress for some time to come methinks.
Whatever harness you choose make it one with a V shaped front and not one that goes straight across the chest. The latter inhibit natural gait and movement. Vet Recommended ones are Perfect Fit, Mekuti and T touch. Also Dog Copenhagen which we are about to try as a back up to the Perfect Fit.

Offline Rollo58

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 01:34:17 PM »
Is the PERFECT FIT a little messy to put on and adjust being in 3 parts?
What was it that attracts you to the DOG COPENHAGEN?

Offline Rollo58

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 01:37:13 PM »
Is the HAPPY AT HEEL true to size?
Archie is 52cm around the girth and small goes up to 54cm and thinking medium would be better as he may soon grow out of the small.

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »
Hi
The advantage to Perfect Fit is you can replace bits as the dog grows rather than needing a complete harness. It’s very simple to put on and off either over the head and then fasten the girth or open the neck to put on if you have a dog who doesn’t like things going over his head. You don’t put it on or off in three separate parts. All parts are adjustable and lined with soft fleece.  Easily washed and dried.
Dog Games shop are very helpful if you have questions about their harnesses.

Dog Copenhagen is relatively new but also v front and I just liked the look of it. Several well known trainers also like it. Two versions, one has a wider chest piece and a handle on the back. The newer version is lighter.

In the end it’s a personal choice but go for a v shaped front.
 :D

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 10:16:38 AM »
Hi
The advantage to Perfect Fit is you can replace bits as the dog grows rather than needing a complete harness. It’s very simple to put on and off either over the head and then fasten the girth or open the neck to put on if you have a dog who doesn’t like things going over his head. You don’t put it on or off in three separate parts. All parts are adjustable and lined with soft fleece.  Easily washed and dried.
Dog Games shop are very helpful if you have questions about their harnesses.

Dog Copenhagen is relatively new but also v front and I just liked the look of it. Several well known trainers also like it. Two versions, one has a wider chest piece and a handle on the back. The newer version is lighter.

In the end it’s a personal choice but go for a v shaped front.
 :D

Hi,
After reading this thread I'm also looking into the Copenhagen to replace the Halti harness that I have (it stopped Salty pulling, but now I think it may not be good for him)
Did you get one in the end Gerryjane? If so, what about the fit? I read that their fit advice resulted in a too big one (The Halti advice did for us too)

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 04:30:24 PM »
Hi
We have also now found the Copenhagen a little too large which means it slips. We are just using it as an emergency back up as my OH had removed all the tags so we couldn’t return it  >:(
We are assuming Toby will fill out a little when older.
We will order another Perfect Fit next month. It’s a shame as the Copenhagen is a really nice harness and I loved the stripy design!

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »
Thanks!
Could you tell me the size of harness you got and the size of Toby (chest measurement, height, weight), so that I can use that info to refine my choice of size to get Salty, please?
Leigh