Author Topic: The thought of owning a puppy  (Read 2508 times)

Offline ralphlowerson

The thought of owning a puppy
« on: January 22, 2020, 12:25:58 PM »
Hello all

I've wanted a dog for a few years and have seen a lovely working cocker for sale, but, I find myself talking myself out of it, more than talking myself into it. Anyone else find that? I undersand the responsibility and am prepared for the work involved, the kids would help out too.
What helped you decide? Did you throw caution to the wind with a you only live once approach or did you plan everything out on a spreadsheet.

I can offer a dog a loving home/family and activity and can bring it to work too.

Thanks
 ;)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: The thought of owning a puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 01:18:25 PM »
My decision was based on a few other factors - never had a puppy only older dogs and being pensioned, knew it was my last chance to have a dog „without a past“ which would, hopefully adapt to our lifestyle more easily than one from a possibly completely different background. We never regretted it and, although puppyhood does have its challenges, its great fun and I‘m so glad we didn‘t miss out on that stage of humphrey‘s life, the bond we have is amazing and although I adored all my dogs, Humphrey is extra special to us.
If you work, the only thing I‘d consider is the reliability of the kids help..obviously depends on their ages and how committed they are, only you can decide that. Taking a dog to work again depends on where you work and what you do - I was discussing this only last weekend with a lady who told me her labrador puppy was totally stressed out at her office because it had no rest, there was just too much going on. Again, only you know the answer to that one but if you‘re happy that you can offer a pup a good home in all eventualities, go for it!! Puppies are hard work but puppyhood is only one passing stage, they do eventually grow up and the reward of having brought them up to be good and happy companions is one of life‘s greatest pleasures, (in my opinion anyway)!
Best of luck, and if you do go for one, keep in touch, - you‘ll get no better help than here!  ;)

Offline ralphlowerson

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:36:28 PM »
Thankyou for your reply, it's much appreciated. Regarding work, I only work Mon - Thursday and term time only. My office has 7 of us in it and it's quiet enough for a dog to be in.
I do tend to over worry and shouldn't.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »
Thankyou for your reply, it's much appreciated. Regarding work, I only work Mon - Thursday and term time only. My office has 7 of us in it and it's quiet enough for a dog to be in.
I do tend to over worry and shouldn't.

:lol2: That‘s no bad thing - far better to worry too much than too little, its a big decision and sadly there are too many dogs sitting in kennels because someone didn‘t give it enough thought. You sound as if you‘d be an excellent puppy parent!  :D Best of Luck!

Offline Barry H

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »
Was without a dog for many years (had Bassets when younger) and always said I'd get another when I retired.  Took early retirement a few years ago and first job was to get a show type Cocker.  I lucked out when I found a blue roan litter available relatively quickly.  A case of we both found one another...

As a life long dog lover, there was never a decision to be made.  It wasn't a question of 'if' but 'when' really.  I live alone and yes, it was bl**dy hard work in the beginning, but five years on all the work has paid off with huge dividends - many I didn't even realise.  Now, Jack and I are joined at the hip.  Don't know whether it's good or bad, but most of the time I don't think of him as a dog, more like a best mate...

If I can do it, so can you!

Offline Digger

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 09:26:56 AM »
Hi-just a couple of thoughts..
If you do get a pup and intend to take it to work,(term time), get it on the last day of term before the summer break so you've got 6 weeks to do the housetraining!!However much your colleagues think they like puppies that could soon erode if it's peeing and pooing everywhere (as they do)...and I'm guessing your boss wouldn't be that impressed if you were having to leave the office every 45 mins to take the pup out.
Our pup took a bit longer than this to house train.
The other thing is, working type cockers are much more needy of a job than show types. They are busy full on dogs and need stimulation. I know lots of people who have working types that were much easier than mine, but I can't imagine our one chilling out in an office when she was young. She would have been rampaging around, jumping on everything and  running off with anything that wasn't glued down...And biting everyone.
She's 2.5 now and you could now take her into that environment and she would settle down, but ONLY after a stonking good walk first thing in the morning.
And she'd still have your biro if you dropped it.
Most working cockers are wired up to the mains all night and awake in the morning with a glowing 100% battery!
In my opinion you'd have to drain at least half of that off to stand a chance of getting any peace. Would you have time for a walk (and wash and dry the mud off) before work? That would give you a couple of hours where your pooch would probably have a couple of hours snooze mode. You could simulate your work pattern at home over the holidays so the pup gets used to the routine. They love routine.
Better to take it to work than leave it though-they really hate not being with you.
I think your situation is possible, if you plan it and make a routine the dog is familiar with. You might get an easy one. I would have thought a show type would be a safer bet though..
Best of luck!

Offline ralphlowerson

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 11:11:38 AM »
 for your replies, it's really given me food for thought and I'm pretty much decided a working cocker wouldn't be for us if they are so full on. What about a Britton spaniel? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline Dimples

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »
Hiya, firstly I am glad you are giving it a lot of thought.  So many just buy a puppy then start to think about the pros and cons. Too late then!

I took a while decide on show cocker v working cocker and decided that a show cocker was more for us. We actually lead a very active life and Robbie has 3-4 walks a day. However if I can only walk him twice that day he doesn't complain either.  I took Robbie to work with me from Day 1. I sit at a desk most of the day, taking him out at 11am for a wee and 1pm for a walk. I leave at 3pm.  However it's important for him to settle for the time in the office, which he has learnt to do from Day 1. I am not sure a working cocker would be so content with that...but...I am sure they are all different.

A show cocker meets every tick box for me. Lively and energetic for walks and runs. Quiet and sleepy for quiet time.  Pretty much fits in with whatever we do. He just wants to be with me all the time which is soooo annoying at times ha ha but I get it. I am pretty needy myself so I get it.   

A cocker spaniel just wants you to be with them. They naturally don't like being alone. If you can take him/her to work it sounds ideal and a good set up.

My boy is 9 young and I can pretty much take him anywhere and he is well behaved and accepted in most peoples homes. That's the good thing about a quieter and smaller dog.

Good Luck and fire away with any questions x
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »
for your replies, it's really given me food for thought and I'm pretty much decided a working cocker wouldn't be for us if they are so full on. What about a Britton spaniel? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Do you mean a Brittany?  I wouldn't recommend one of those as just a pet, or to anyone that doesn't know HPRs.  They can be very very independent and driven to hunt.  I know someone who got one just as a pet, and ended up at gundog training as he and his partner couldn't let it off the lead at all as it would just clear off to hunt and wouldn't be caught.  As hunt point retrievers (they're not spaniels) they are more likely to hunt at distance and are much more independent than spaniels, and can be stubborn.

Show cockers are great as pets, and some workers can be as well.  Contrary to what many believe - the workers don't need hours of running exercise - they need to have their drive and energy channeled in the right way.  20 minutes of hunting under control is better exercise for mine than an hour's walking/ free running.  If you're willing to put the effort into researching the breed and its requirements, as well as researching different lines (and being aware that you may get a lively one) - then look into getting a worker if they are what you like.  Just know that they aren't the kind of dog to take for a stroll around the park while you chat on your phone  ;).  I have 3 and love them to bits for their enthusiasm and lust for life.  Just out of interest - what is it that you like about the workers?
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 08:49:51 PM »

Thanks
Do you mean a Brittany?  I wouldn't recommend one of those as just a pet, or to anyone that doesn't know HPRs.  They can be very very independent and driven to hunt.  I know someone who got one just as a pet, and ended up at gundog training as he and his partner couldn't let it off the lead at all as it would just clear off to hunt and wouldn't be caught.  As hunt point retrievers (they're not spaniels) they are more likely to hunt at distance and are much more independent than spaniels, and can be stubborn.

Show cockers are great as pets, and some workers can be as well.  Contrary to what many believe - the workers don't need hours of running exercise - they need to have their drive and energy channeled in the right way.  20 minutes of hunting under control is better exercise for mine than an hour's walking/ free running.  If you're willing to put the effort into researching the breed and its requirements, as well as researching different lines (and being aware that you may get a lively one) - then look into getting a worker if they are what you like.  Just know that they aren't the kind of dog to take for a stroll around the park while you chat on your phone  ;).  I have 3 and love them to bits for their enthusiasm and lust for life.  Just out of interest - what is it that you like about the workers?
I have a three year old. Show cocker our third cocker spaniel. He is so different from what Dylan was and Jessie. Last year we started gun dog lesson have started Scentwork with him.  One walk a day is fine for him but he needs mental stimulation through the day. So training on our walks . We also do agility but might do that for a little while longer as my knees complain after a while.