Author Topic: Working cocker?  (Read 3388 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« on: April 15, 2004, 10:21:35 AM »
Just met a lady I've met quite a lot recently in the park, and chatted to her. She has two working cockers, gorgeous dogs, and we got talking. She said she thought my Indie had a good bit of working cocker in him, as he has the long body and shorter legs. She siad the more she saw him, the more she thought he did.

It doesn't matter to me, I'm just wonderfing if anyone else thinks so, there are a few pics in the puppy gallery.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 11:43:08 AM »
Looks like a 'normal' cocker to me! But then again, I'm not the best at telling working, cocker and field spaniels apart! When we first got Boysie, our vet suggested that he was part working cocker - mainly because he was virtually bouncing off the consulting room walls at the time, but also he does seem quite tall. We had only had him 3 days then, and he had come from rescue kennels, and I think he was just letting off some steam and didn't want to be examined.                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Working cocker?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 01:21:11 PM »
I have to say Shona, that Indie looks like a 'show type' cocker to me, not a working one.
Orange roans can tend to have silkier, finer fur and hence less of it - so he may not have a lot of feathering, which could give him a kind of worker cocker look.
Also, he's still growing! At 3 months Jenni's head looks too small for her long body and she's got little dumpy legs! But she's just a baby and so is growing all over the place at different rates I suppose.
I'm sure when he's fully grown and fully 'feathered out' people won't pass comment.
I seem to remember that Gilly had comments of Butty being a springer when she was younger, but as she's grown up, filled out and got more feathering she's looking a proper little cocker lady - am I right Gilly, or am I confusing you with someone else?                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »
Sounds like Gilly to me, Kelly  :wink:

Shona, I found it quite hard to tell for certain from the pictures in the gallery, as there wasnt really one clear one with his entire body and head - howeverm I think I'd go with what Kelly said.

If you're still unsure, send Jane a PM with details of Indie's parentage, and she can let you know for sure (provided both are kc registered).                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 02:16:19 PM »
Thanks Mike, I'll try and take a proper pic.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 02:17:06 PM »
Thanks Kelly, that could well be it. He's 6 months now, do you think he'll grow much more? He's weighing in at 14 kgs.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 02:17:45 PM »
Thanks Maria,

lol at bouncing off the walls, Indie does that after his bath, goes mad for an hour!                    

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Working cocker?
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 02:19:29 PM »
Looks like the showtype to mee too. When my Ada was pup, everyone thought she was a welsh springer (probably because of her color, orange and white). When my Kukka was younger, everyone kept asking wether she is an american cocker (ok, she has always had a somewhat excessive harigrowth, but in my opinion she looks nothing like the american cousin. Or what do you think, she's the one in my avatar)   :roll:..
I have even once been asked if my Ada is a poodle  :shock: . That gave me a right laugh  :lol:                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Working cocker?
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 04:57:58 PM »
Indie looks like a show-type Cocker to me too :) Have a look at his pedigree Shona & if some of the names have "FT CH" in front of them, then this indicates a Working pedigree. If some of the names have "Sh Ch" in front of them, then it's a show pedigree. Of course there may be no Champions at all in which case, this won't help :wink:                    
Jane

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
Working cocker?
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 10:03:49 PM »
Looks all show boy to me :)  But they're ALL beautiful and loving little things to have around :P                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »
How can you tell if he is cocker is aworking cocker? :?  I was interested when you mentioned the long body because out of all the cockers i have seen in the flesh i have yet to see one who has a body that is as long as my Billy's. He also has legs which are longer than other cockers i have seen. Maybe it is because he is only 6 mths?  :lol:                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2004, 08:10:17 PM »
I was interested when you mentioned the long body because out of all the cockers i have seen in the flesh i have yet to see one who has a body that is as long as my Billy's. He also has legs which are longer than other cockers i have seen. Maybe it is because he is only 6 mths?  :lol:

I think you might be right there.  Cooper is definately show type but at the moment he is 4 months and looks to me to have really long legs and a short body - compared to when Morgan was a pup.  In fact everyone we meet likens him to a little black and white lamb  :lol:   He has that gangliness about him  :lol: I think he's beautiful now but I know he will look even better when he fills out and grows some fluff  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Busters Dad

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 12:34:31 PM »
I am probably showing my ignorance here, well, I am well practiced at it. :?

I always thought that long legs would be detramental for a working Cocker, to work well the dog needs to get into all sorts of thick undergrowth to flush game.

The dog also needs to be short and stocky in order to bulldoze his way through the thickest of the undergrowth.

Buster is definately not a show Cocker, although he is only sixteen weeks old he is showing little sign of a long coat or heavy feathering.

His paws are very large but his legs are not long, his rear quarters are rapidly developing very heavy and strong muscle, he has boundless energy and loves nothing more than catching the scent of game in any sort of thicket and doing his best to flush it out.

Although I do not shoot, I love country walking and adore watching any dog working well and enjoying what he does best.

To me it matters not if Buster is show or field stock, providing he is healthy, happy and gets to do what he enjoys, then I believe I am fulfilling my duty as a responsible owner.

As stated in a previous post, I love my dog.

Mike.                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 01:57:56 PM »
Hi Mike

It's clear that you love him whatever his breeding   :D  but what makes you think that Buster isn't show type?  I may be wrong but I think the lighter roans tend to have less feathering or it takes longer to appear  :?:  Cooper is dark blue roan (also 16 weeks) and he has very little fluff yet!   :wink:  :D

I know it's not important to you, but if you are interested in finding out I'm sure Jane would be able to tell you if you sent her Busters pedigree details  :)  

Buster's a lucky lad to have such a proud and caring owner  :P

All the best

Shirley  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Busters Dad

• Site Member
Working cocker?
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 03:45:13 PM »
Hi Mike

but what makes you think that Buster isn't show type?

Shirley  :)

Probably the fact that we have no intention of showing Buster has led me to have a perhaps somewhat clouded opinion.

Although his speckling becomes darker by the day, he is very much at the moment a light Blue Roan.

It will be interesting to see if his coat and feathers become more prolific over the coming weeks.

Just out of interest, do you give Cooper any free excercise ?, if so how does he react to the scent of game. I just feel that Buster is so keen at only 16 weeks that he must have a bias towards working.

Mike.