Author Topic: NO means Playtime !!  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
NO means Playtime !!
« on: May 01, 2004, 11:49:37 AM »
Well, I thought things were going wonderfully. I think I have been spoiling Jazz a little too much. She is now 5 Months old, and the problem whenever I say no, she just barks and starts playing up 100 times worse. She obvioulsy thinks NO means playtime.

I use a firm voice, and when shes being naughty i put her out of the room, and ignore her for a period of time (just a couple of mins) then she comes back in barks, jumps alover the furniture, and chews anything. I repeat the same process, and have been doing this for ages. This morning already she has been put out of the room over 15 times. Each time she comes back worse than before. My hand is starting to look like a pin cushion.. She has many many chew, and apart fromt he sofa cushions and my HANDS she chews what shes supposed to.

I say NO very firmly, and have resulted to really shouting at her. which doesn't make an iota of difference, it just makes her bark louder, and for longer, and run about faster.

Any other ideas?                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
NO means Playtime !!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 12:09:11 PM »
I've got exactly the same problem with my 8 month old Jasmine, she thinks that if I say NO it's means..........bum in the air and barking twice as loud, usually a loud BED does the trick, my other dogs understand just Jasmine being a puppy thinks anything said loudly means 'hyper time'                    

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
NO means Playtime !!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 12:10:01 PM »
Just noticed...........maybe it's something to do with the name..........lol.                    

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
NO means Playtime !!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 12:17:28 PM »
HA it couuld be her name is Jasmine.... Jazz for short !!!!  So if i change her name will our problems disappear do you think???

:lol:                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
NO means Playtime !!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 12:54:22 PM »
better ask mike too he has a jazz :lol: mike do you have this problem too lol                    

Offline PennyB

NO means Playtime !!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 04:25:49 PM »
Wilf has been doing this since he was 7 months old (he's now 11 months) and I think its an age thing that you just have to persist with for now.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Tori

• Shannara Leap of faith AKA Mr bubbalicious - Otis
NO means Playtime !!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 09:44:08 PM »
Wilf has been doing this since he was 7 months old (he's now 11 months) and I think its an age thing that you just have to persist with for now.

Laney has also been doning this since she was about 6mts, she now coming up to 4 yrs old :shock:  :D

When shes barking or playing up and i tell her no she  looks at me turns and walks about 3 ft away then does her wooing bark  :roll:   i then gently smack her bum which she then takes as ohh playtime :)  and shoots of the up the garden barking somemore  :twisted:

This normally results with me with head in hands in dispare but at the same time trying not to laugh :)

What was that you asked :?:

Me, soft on my dogs?   Noooooooo Never :wink:

Oh forgot to add that the rest of mine DO shut up and behave when asked....well 99% of the time :lol:                    
Tori & Co x
aka the luscious Laney, Jessica ferret, Scrum bum Otis (pictured)and Sasha the basha welshie - sadly Sasha was set free to run at the bridge 13/01/11 to prevent further suffering.... Until we meet again sweet angel xx

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
NO means Playtime !!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 08:58:33 AM »
When I had this problem with Sonny and the others getting too excited, I use a small plant spray bottle filled with water and give them a spray of water. Put the spray on the thin jet not the fine spray, it doesnt hurt them, but it makes them stop and think. Now when they start to get to silly I just have to pick up the bottle and they calm down. It doesnt take them long to learn either.                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang