Author Topic: Will this get better?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Will this get better?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 09:19:02 PM »

No problem!  :D

Obviously growling can be a sign of poor temperament, but you need to look at the circumstances to see if it's a problem or an understandable (and healthy) reaction!  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »
Tia Maria - I think that is a really good question - it does get confusing.  Mine has never given any warning growls - maybe she's never had reason to but she does play growl when I play tug or play with her soft toy but I know that is play growling.   However I wouldn't be comfortable with my dog growling at me if I was trying to get her to something like put a lead or harness on, yeh sure enough we've had battles with the lead and getting too excited etc but she now sits for her lead to be put on - lots of clicker training for this.    I can understand Cob-Web saying that growling is a positive thing in that you have a warning that your dog is uncomfortable with something but I really don't get that a dog should growl at its owner and that it is positive.    The only positive I see here is that you get a warning before you may get bitten.    I've now really confused myself  :huh: :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 09:38:14 PM »
Tia Maria - I think that is a really good question - it does get confusing.  Mine has never given any warning growls - maybe she's never had reason to but she does play growl when I play tug or play with her soft toy but I know that is play growling.   However I wouldn't be comfortable with my dog growling at me if I was trying to get her to something like put a lead or harness on, yeh sure enough we've had battles with the lead and getting too excited etc but she now sits for her lead to be put on - lots of clicker training for this.    I can understand Cob-Web saying that growling is a positive thing in that you have a warning that your dog is uncomfortable with something but I really don't get that a dog should growl at its owner and that it is positive.    The only positive I see here is that you get a warning before you may get bitten.    I've now really confused myself  :huh: :005:

Yes i understand - and i too wouldnt want a dog i was fearful of, at the same time i wouldnt want Reuben to be fearful of me. I guess for dogs their only reaction is biting, running and growling. If i was to think of a really bad situation were my only reaction was to lash out (a worm forced near me in a confined space for example) then i would do it, no matter who it was. For a dog i guess its the same, if they had nowhere to run/escape and a growl was the next best thing before a bite - then i guess i completely understand.

I guess i wouldnt be happy with the same things you mention Jeanette either, if they were growling at just everyday things.  i had an old rescue staff growl at me when i was pregnant years ago, and it really upset me, and in a way i began to loose my trust with him - he was a big powerful dog, and after that he scared me.

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 09:43:29 PM »
I think that if your dog is growling at you, you need to look at why, and help them become more comfortable with the situation.  

If we had caught Honey's skin in her harness, causing her to be more wary and possibly leading her to growl when we approached with it again, we would need to go back to basics to get her to trust the harness again.   ;)  A growl is a sign something is wrong - if your dog were to be growling at you, you need to take steps to solve the thing that is wrong, not tell him/her off for growling.  The positive of growl is the fact that you haven't been bitten - it gives you the chance to solve the problem...  ;)  

Yes, it would not be a good place to be if your dog was growling at you over everyday things, but the problem is not the growl but the fact that they are feeling frightened or insecure...

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »
This is very interesting and has helped me understand about growling a bit better.  However, Chloe has never growled except whilst playing tug and also, in her repetoire of noises she makes when she sees or hears something outside and she's leaning over the back of the couch, watching out the window, with her tail wagging! I would be like Laura if Chloe growled whilst I was trying to put her harness/lead on and would be very worried indeed...but then I AM a worrier!  Laura...back to you just now...I would like to know what your trainer says...you did post last week that you had sorted out a trainer for Ollie and I believe you were going to let us know how you got on. So, whats the news on that? Sorry if Im wondering off the thread.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »
I think that if your dog is growling at you, you need to look at why, and help them become more comfortable with the situation. 

If we had caught Honey's skin in her harness, causing her to be more wary and possibly leading her to growl when we approached with it again, we would need to go back to basics to get her to trust the harness again.   ;)  A growl is a sign something is wrong - if your dog were to be growling at you, you need to take steps to solve the thing that is wrong, not tell him/her off for growling.  The positive of growl is the fact that you haven't been bitten - it gives you the chance to solve the problem...  ;) 

Yes, it would not be a good place to be if your dog was growling at you over everyday things, but the problem is not the growl but the fact that they are feeling frightened or insecure...

That makes perfect sense Karma - must have had a brain freeze.   Sorry to jump in on this thread. 

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »

If we had caught Honey's skin in her harness, causing her to be more wary and possibly leading her to growl when we approached with it again, we would need to go back to basics to get her to trust the harness again.   ;)  A growl is a sign something is wrong - if your dog were to be growling at you, you need to take steps to solve the thing that is wrong, not tell him/her off for growling.  The positive of growl is the fact that you haven't been bitten - it gives you the chance to solve the problem...  ;) 

Glad im armed with a bit more knowledge and understanding. And it makes perfect sense.  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »
 Laura...back to you just now...I would like to know what your trainer says...you did post last week that you had sorted out a trainer for Ollie and I believe you were going to let us know how you got on. So, whats the news on that? Sorry if Im wondering off the thread.

We've talked to this trainer, and we are planning to go and see the class on 11th Nov, but she hasn't replied back to my email yet. Will call in the next couple of days if she doesn't reply. Got a couple of other trainers that I'll ring up and see about. So it's definitely on the cards. :)

I am such a worrier though, and think the negative of everything. Got to try and think more positively. Tonight Ollie jumped on the sofa so we told him down, and he jumped straight off without any argument  :lol2: Gave him loads of praise so he knew that is what we wanted.  :D

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »
 Laura...back to you just now...I would like to know what your trainer says...you did post last week that you had sorted out a trainer for Ollie and I believe you were going to let us know how you got on. So, whats the news on that? Sorry if Im wondering off the thread.

We've talked to this trainer, and we are planning to go and see the class on 11th Nov, but she hasn't replied back to my email yet. Will call in the next couple of days if she doesn't reply. Got a couple of other trainers that I'll ring up and see about. So it's definitely on the cards. :)

I am such a worrier though, and think the negative of everything. Got to try and think more positively. Tonight Ollie jumped on the sofa so we told him down, and he jumped straight off without any argument  :lol2: Gave him loads of praise so he knew that is what we wanted.  :D

Great news.  I envy you having access to professional help :'(

All the posts on here about growling were really informative I thought, hope you feel a bit better after reading them. I've learnt a lot from reading your thread  ;). Hey, and I noticed that you are saying "we" loads more than you used to...it was always "I" before...so sounds like you've really got your family on board. Good stuff.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 06:08:27 PM »
Thanks SkyeSue. Yeah, my family are much on board than they used to be. We are going to see the training class on the 18th Nov, so that's fab. :D Ollie is being castrated on Monday. Is this seen as a bad thing? Or is this a good thing to do?

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 07:14:29 PM »
HiI just wanted to say well done with all of the progress that you have made with Ollie and thats gret news about the training. I have no experience with neutering as I have two bitches. Why is he being neutered??? Sorry I probably have missed your reasons for doing this! Any how good luck with the training on 18th!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 07:49:31 PM »
He's being neutered because we don't want to breed from him. Simple reason really, but everyone's saying it's too soon. But there's nothing I can do now as it's booked and I'm unlikely to change my parent's decision.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 09:34:10 PM »
Will lock this thread as I believe your questions have been answered.

The thread re neutering can be viewed here
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=51029.0