Author Topic: Walking On The Lead Without Pulling  (Read 1141 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Walking On The Lead Without Pulling
« on: September 29, 2004, 03:39:53 PM »
Hi everyone - I have been taking Finley out for walks for for nearly three weeks now, this weeks he is obviously feeling very confident being out because he is constantly pulling on the lead or trying to bit it.  How do I make him walk properly and at a slower pace - am I being too ambitious for a 14 week old pup?.  I really want to get this under control because I have a back problem and so it will get worse for me.  Should I invest in a harness for walking.   I just tried to take him around the garden on the lead (show lead) but again he's constant pulling and biting the lead.  HELP

Advice would be very welcome

Wendy
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 04:17:58 PM »
Show leads are a bit flimsy for lead practice. We gently jerk the lead back (incidendly we have harnesses not collars) and suck in air to make a dissaproving noise. Soon they respond to the sound on its own. You could use any noise, the sucking air thing can make you a bit dizzy! Oxygen overload!!!!! :blink:  
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 06:53:14 PM »
Wendy,

I will pass on the technique taught at the puppy classes I go to, although I am having trouble applying it with Molo, who at 18 weeks also pulls like a train  :rolleyes:

With the pup sat at your left hand side, and the lead in your right hand, accross your body, use the forward command of choice and move forward. When your dog pulls, stop dead as if there is a brick wall in front of him, and only continue when he is by your side again. Keep their attention on you by talking to them and if necessary waggling a toy or treat.

As I have said, I am still struggling with this; I seem to spend most of my time bent double to ensure Molo's attention is held on me/the treat. Other COL members have suggested changing sirection each time he pulls, but I am struggling with this too as he loses interest really quickly.

However, I have seen it work on an American Cocker, so it must be possible, and I am persevering in the hope that we may eventually succeed  :D  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 07:45:07 PM »
I've been taught this way:

Pup sits on your left hand side, lead in your right hand (so its across your body), treat in left hand (show them it just before you go forward), use the 'heel' command and move forward always left foot 1st (so later you can do this without a command—as soon as mine see my left foot move off they now know its their command to move). When dog pulls, stop straight away, gently jerk the lead back until dog is sitting back with you on the left, quietly praise them for sitting (or even treat them in the early days), then repeat moving forward again. Later when they pull of the lead but respond quite quickly to you, you don't need to do stop-start but gently jerk the lead back using the command 'heel' as your walking (but still a treat in left hand so they know its there).

It will take a while as although we think they have bonded with us their concentrations levels are such that they are easily distracted but find it difficult to focus back on you (mine are easily distracted but now I know through practice that I can focus them back on to me to give them further commands)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 12:02:20 AM »
I am still struggling with this.....Saffi and Jessie still pull even though they are 14 months old or so.

Ive tried everything lol

Ive come to the conclusion that they want to pull much more than I want to stop them as they always win.

They are better and Jessie is in a harness which helps loads but I wouldnt be able to win any prizes.

Only place they are great on lead is at dog training so I cant demonstrate their technique to the trainer as they are always good as gold  :rolleyes:

Typical eh?

JAney

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 10:51:03 AM »
I am still struggling with this.....Saffi and Jessie still pull even though they are 14 months old or so.

Ive tried everything lol

Ive come to the conclusion that they want to pull much more than I want to stop them as they always win.

They are better and Jessie is in a harness which helps loads but I wouldnt be able to win any prizes.

Only place they are great on lead is at dog training so I cant demonstrate their technique to the trainer as they are always good as gold  :rolleyes:

Typical eh?

JAney
Do you walk them together, as it might be worth trying them separately. Mine can be very difficult to walk together as they compete to get ahead or whatever. But if I walk them on their own their absolute angels and thus have managed to get them to walk to heel with practice.

One you've mastered walking on their own (away from the class) you can then teach them to walk together. I've been shown (1-2-1 with my dog trainer) but haven't practised it much (and know when I do they're OK).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 11:18:29 AM »
Bailey walks lovely when he is out alone - a real joy.  Brogan is getting better we've only been teaching loose lead for oooh 11 months now :rolleyes:  he doesn't pull anymore just likes to be at the end of the lead :angry:   We use the stop start method - he responds to it now the instant I stop but then goes ahead again.  This method is working but takes a lot of patience and consistency and it isn't an instant quick for us.  

Walking both at the sametime different story all together - pulling, competing to be infront, criss-crossing etc............until I used a headcollar on them both.  Now we can walk to school with 2 dogs calmly at my side(ish) :o  :) Bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy though  :rolleyes:  I walk Bailey on the left and Brogan on the right.  I am hoping though in the future to be able to ditch the headcollars when I have the 2 together but think it is going to be a longtime coming <_<  :D  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09