Author Topic: Willow eating far to quick  (Read 1805 times)

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
Re: Willow eating far to quick
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
Something that worked for Harvey - we put a kong (or similar toy that will fill the bowl a bit) in to the bowl with his food. This stops them being able to grab so much and they have to eat around the toy. Slowed Harvey down huge amounts!  :D
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline Jo-and-Alfie

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »
When she is on 100% kibble, moistening it a bit with a teaspoon of hot/warm water may slow her down a tad. (not much though!  :005: )

Alfie has his soaked and if anything I think it makes it disappear faster! It takes him literally a minute to eat, is that like willow Maddy? He also does a little burp when he's finished  ph34r :005:

Offline black taz

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »
Taz is quite a delicate eater, but Kira my lab ate quite quickly when i first had her (then she would make a bee-line for Taz's dinner).  So i started just putting a small amount of kibble in her dish at a time adding more when she had eaten what was in her dish, gradually increasing the amount given to her at one go over a number of weeks.  She does actually chew her food now and eats fairly calmly now (especially in comparison with other labs i have seen eating). 

however, if i wet her food or put any meat in with it that is completely different matter - she eats that in almost 1 mouthful :005:

Offline maddy74

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »
Yes she has eaten it in seconds.  :-\ Didnt think of her probably eating it faster as she know I am going to take it away from her half way, might do it as suggested.  ;) What i had written last night, i meant to write, she makes a 'noise' not a 'nose' my typo's get worse as the night wears on... lol  :005:

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
Holly is 10 months now and still eats like a mad thing......we have to separate her from Bramble & Beri or she would eat theirs as well  :005:

We put it down to Puppy Farm and having 4 homes in her short little life but our vet said it was perfectly normal and not to worry.   At 10 months she is a little better, she did used to eat so fast that she was sick sometimes.  Don't worry about it Willow is still very young........she may however always be a greedy dog, some just are......bit like us really  :005:  
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline maddy74

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »
Lol, Like i said earlier I think she had been watching her owners...lol, its nice to see them eat well though, she really enjoys her grub  :005:

Offline mooching

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »
Maddy, Alfie used to clear his bowl in about 5-10 seconds when he was Willow's age. Nowadays, at 11 months, it's a much more sedate 1-2 mins.  ;)

Offline pam1

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
My Westie used to gobble her food down really quick  >:(  Sadly passed away now) But I have a brake-fast bowl you are welcome to if you PM me your address. 
Pam, Oliver and Bertie

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »
As previously said, if she was eating to fast she would vomit. Eating food fast doesn't "block you up"
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline emma_and_tilly

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 12:57:02 PM »
When the weather's nice i'll throw tilly's across the patio so she has to 'hoover' it up. It slows her down as she has to sniff it out.

Offline WarwickshireFlyball

• K925 Pet Services
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
Will you be at Crufts? Might get a bargain gulper bowl there - we got one from Fish For Dogs stand last year for a fiver and it is fab. Really solid and does the job - the greedy one was soooo unimpressed when he saw that was his present from Crufts  :lol2:

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 06:07:58 PM »
If you look on ebay for a "go slow plastic dog bowl" I got delta one of these and its slowed her down lots with eating, it has nobbles in the bowl so they have to move around the bowl for the food.