Author Topic: Finley Has Colitis  (Read 1610 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Finley Has Colitis
« on: February 14, 2005, 06:49:18 PM »
Just got back from the vet - apparently Finley has Colitis and he also needed his anal glands emptied.  THe vet has given us aome pro-kolin for him - have to keep him on chicken and rice for a few day then re-introduce the kibble.

I am cross with the vets as I booked an appointment with them this afternoon, they then rang up and said that there was no need to go in, the vet I saw last wednesday and a colleague had, had a discussion and decided to give him some antibotics WITHOUT SEEING HIM - I ask what they thought was wrong with  him and they did not know.  Well I insisted they saw him.  I was amazed at how casually they would give a dog antibotics.  I am cross :angry: .

If Fin symptions do not ease by Thursday we have to go back with a poo sample.  So I am hoping the colitis is temporary.

Wendy and Finley  
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 06:55:02 PM »
Aww poor Fin, India had this last year, it seemed to come on all of a sudden she was fine one day and not the next.  She was feeling very sorry for herself for a couple of days, but after about 2-3 days she was back to normal, I cant remember what medication she was given though.
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 06:57:49 PM »
:( Poor Finley - I'm beginning to lose faith with vets after reading posts on the forum  :blink:   (Can't say I'm totally convinced about mine).  :(  I can understand why you are angry, I can't believe they would give him antibiotics without seeing him!

:) I hope little Finley improves soon - give him a big cocker hug from us x

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

scoobie

Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 07:07:59 PM »
wendy I would change your vet I personally think that's disgusting to tell you Finley needs antibiotics over the phone..ok so the vet discussed Finleys symptoms with another colleague but they should have insisted they see him no wonder your cross Im seething here and it's not even my dog :angry: I would seriously tell your vet where to go!! rant over...
Hope little Finley keeps on improving  ;)  

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 07:40:06 PM »
At least you know whats wrong now  ;)  let's hope his medication works and he'll be back to normal asap  :)  

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 07:47:50 PM »
Aww, wendy I hope the medication works and Finley is back to himself soon.  As the others have said, it's good to have some answers, there's nothing worse than not knowing what's wrong - all sorts go through your head.  I am surprised about then giving out medication without seeing him.  It is amazing how quick antibiotics can work though, Morgan was much better within a day of getting his antibiotic jab.  Hugs and cocker kisses to Finley  :)  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Sue H

Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 08:06:04 PM »
Dear Wendy,

I don't think colitis can be diagnosed over the phone, and unless they took poo sanples, they shouldn't be prescribing anitbiotics really ...

Even if there has been a local outbreak, they should treat each patient as an individual with possibly different symptoms ... it could be anything really ...

Many Vets obviously think that antibiotics are the answer to all the outbreaks of gastric problems that are going around .. as advised, I would change your Vet, however difficult that may seem, since they are obviously not bothering to do a proper diagnosis but rather placing their bet on something else that is going around ...

Offline PollyKay

• Site Member
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 09:02:43 PM »
Sorry to hear Finlay has Colitis.  It's not nice for the dog or the owner as I know from personal experience.  Cleaning up can be quite stomach churning.
Sammy had Colitis on a regular basis.  We tried a powder medication (something like those 'good bacteria' yoghurt things) at first.  That didn't work for long so he had some big orange tablets next.  I'm not sure if these really did anything as it kept flaring up  every now and then.  Then the vet would give him antibiotics as well. With his Rydalin and Vivitonin (not for Colitis) we must have been one of their best customers.
You have to really be careful with the type of food and treats he is given.  Anything out of the ordinary would set Sammy's Colitis off, but he did have it quite bad.  
I hope you have caught this nice and early and Finlay being a younger dog hopefully it will clear up completely.
Polly (& Sidney the Cavalier)[/size]

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 09:12:46 PM »
Finley is so gorgeous :) but I'm so sorry to hear about his illness and your treatment by your vet. Hope its all sorted soon.

I'm beginning to lose faith with vets after reading posts on the forum

Well mine's wonderful Sue! I wish I could share him with all of you because he has been fantastic with all my animals over the 12 years he has been my vet.  :)  And we've had our fair share of awful problems which he's had to deal with :(  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 09:59:54 PM »
:) Thats great Liz, its good to hear the other side of the coin, wish you could share him !!  :lol:  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 10:13:53 PM »
Yeah, wish we could all borrow him Liz...... my vets dont seem to know a lot about Spaniels...... they think Lilly is fat!!! She weighs 10.8kg's .... is that fat?????.... maybe its just me.... ah well...

I hope Fin is feeling better soon Wendy..... loads of big hugs and cocker kisses to him  :)  
Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

scoobie

Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »
Wendy how is Finley today? sorry for ranting but stories like yours just annoy me ;) My own cocker Scoobie has had colitis,pancreatitis and now has EPI (excorine pancreatic disorder) so have had a few visits to my vets ;) I just feel that things like colitis shouldn't be taken lightly and I agree antibiotics are good but if constantly given they can strip the gut of the freindly bacteria thats why I used to give plain yoghurt (probiotic) to Scoobie
just a thought Wendy why did the vet want to give Finley antibiotics and when you asked what was wrong they didn't know!! so in other words they will dish out the antibiotics 'just in case'
Im sending get well hugs to Finley because I know how nasty colitis can be and to you xx  

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 11:03:27 AM »
Yeah, wish we could all borrow him Liz

Me too :D

How is Finley today? Hope he's doing better?
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 11:25:40 AM »
Hi everyone

Finley is much better today, he has had 3 doses of the pro-kolin - however he has not been poo since yesterday afternoon - so I expect it must be working.  He is very lively and eating very well loving his rice, chicken and small amounts of kibble.  I am working from home today so I can keep a eye on things.

I am so still cross with the vets, its like they do not care, just want the money.  My next battle with them will be when his yearly booster injection is due - I am going down the natural route and using nosodes for a variety of reason, one being he reacted very badly to the 2nd injection and secondly the yearly booster injections ruined his aunt's immune system and she was very ill, i just can not take the chance.  I have already had the tut tut routine at the vets.

Wendy and Finley
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Finley Has Colitis
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 02:37:55 PM »
Wendy, so glad you have got a diagnosis and that finally on the right treatment Finley is getting better :)

Do stand your ground at the vets, hes your boy and you deserve to be listened to. Dont be bullied and if need be look around for a more sympathetic (to your wants) vet.

(((((hugs))))) to finley
Caroline and Alfie