Author Topic: Destructive little boy - suggestions please  (Read 2100 times)

Offline ChrisS

Destructive little boy - suggestions please
« on: October 26, 2018, 05:06:39 PM »
Smudge has just hit 7 months old and in the last week has destroyed nearly every toy he has had since he arrived at 8 weeks old. One new one lasted 20 minutes. Ropes have been shredded at the end, kong wubbas torn apart and has has even had a couple of pieces out of his hard bed.
Any suggestions on anything that may take him a bit longer to destroy would be appreciated. If we don?t find something it may be the furniture that is next!

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
Re: Destructive little boy - suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 08:46:20 AM »
Hi ChrisS

They can be a little destructive can't they :005:
A couple of things I would check first are,
Diet, some foods can make them a bit hyper.
Exercise, how much is Smudge getting ?
Spaniels often need a job, Bea's is to collect socks, it's something she loves to do and will zoom up the stairs to find the socks :luv:

If all else fails Tuffie toys might be the way to go ( if not already tried )   :005:

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
Maximus is the same - I have never thrown away so many dog toys before!! Things he adored he has now destroyed - including his favourite that came with him from his breeder.  He has a toy pheasant that he doesn't destroy.  He sucks the tail and it seems to give him comfort!! He loves Kongs and we have a badger that is made of some kind of tough material, flat with no stuffing and no fur on it, that he also loves.  He carries teddies around too wagging his whole bottom as he does it so think a job is definitely a good idea.  We find distracting him with a game of fetch helps too.
Good luck  ;)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
Have you tried cow/calf hooves? They don?t smell great when they first start on them, but all my dogs love them. And have done since puppies. Plus they?re cheap and replaceable and you can stuff them with soft food or whatever.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Bertie

• Site Member

Offline Digger

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »
Mines got an antler. I nearly cried when I paid over a tenner for it but she has had it for about 9 months now and she still chews on it. Totally natural as well so no red dye zoomies! I got her another one the other day. She likes the ones with a bit sticking out of it so she can hold it.