Author Topic: Buying a working cocker spaniel/show cocker Spaniel mix  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Caitlin_xoxo

Buying a working cocker spaniel/show cocker Spaniel mix
« on: March 10, 2021, 10:44:00 AM »
Hi there.

I am in talks to buy a puppy which is a mix between a show type cocker spaniel and a working cocker spaniel. The mum is a working cocker who has been bred with a show type cocker stud. Has anyone had an experience or can give me advice on the mix breeds?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Buying a working cocker spaniel/show cocker Spaniel mix
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »
Why is my first thought

They have different traits and needs, if you are lucky you will get a laid back, low energy, quiet, biddable pup that needs little grooming.  Equally you may be really unlucky and get a hard hunting, highly prey driven, noisy/squeaky dog that has a coat that needs grooming every six weeks.

I would steer clear.  Choose the strain you really want and buy a pup with the best lines you can afford.  Breeding a mix is IMO either lazy breeding at best and greeding at worst.

Whatever your decision please check that both parents are health checked, have current eye certificates and the results are what you are happy to accept.  You could end up with a pup that is both an AON and AMS carrier from this mix!

I’m sure its not what you wanted to read, sorry

Offline Caitlin_xoxo

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:41:56 PM »
Thanks for the information on that. The dad is a KC registered stud and we’ve seen all his paperwork including eye examination etc as well as paperwork for both to say they are PRA clear as well.

Would you still advice not going for these?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:59:03 PM »
Thanks for the information on that. The dad is a KC registered stud and we’ve seen all his paperwork including eye examination etc as well as paperwork for both to say they are PRA clear as well.

Is the Mum fully health checked too?

Sadly, I would advise against as you don’t really know what you are getting by crossing the two strains.  Technically still a cocker spaniel and can be registered but they are so far apart in temperament, coat, purpose I don’t understand why the owner would cross the strains.

Are you looking for a show cocker or working strain?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 12:07:03 AM »

Minimum health tests
PRA
PRN
AON for show cockers
AMS for working cockers
Current eye test including gonioscopy would be a bonus and should really be in place prior to mating.

Do you know why the owner of the dam is breeding?  Does the dog have a particular trait or ability that makes it more desirable? (Agility competition?).  Is the bitch KC registered also? 

I’m sure there are some lovely cockers out there that are show/working but it just seems such a risk and a hugely expensive one if the dog turns out to be the opposite of what you are looking for.

I should mention that I’ve had a show type cocker and currently have four working cockers.  The workers have been far easier and quieter to train.  The show type was affectionate and a real character- I think I had the challenging one from the litter as she was noisy, demanding, obstinate, defiant and down right disobedient on occasion!  She did make up for most of it with cuddles and changed the course of my life!   Would I want one of those mixed with the energy and determination (plus chase instinct) of one of the workers? I’d need shares in Gordon’s distillery.......

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 10:16:19 AM »
I have to agree with Pearly.
I too would question why they are breeding a litter and why choose a different strain.
Reputable breeders breed to improve the breed so why mix the different strains?
I also wonder why the stud dog owner would allow the mixing if not just for the stud fee.
My pet hate is people who breed their pets, , have never trained their own dogs and just want their bitch and family to ‘experience’ a birth and new born pups.
There are already too many dogs about who need homes, I just think it is wrong.
This is my personal opinion.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 12:59:57 PM »
Just to add to some good advice- both show and working are tested for AMS now-necessary when people decide to cross working and show strains!

Offline Ashliejean

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 12:59:29 PM »
Hi there!
Do you mind me asking where the litter is based? We too are about to buy from a working mum crossed with show stud (though I believe he has working in his blood and certainly looks more working). I’ve not owned a cocker before. We chose a gorgeous brown boy...but I’m now worried it’ll be bad in some way. Their temperaments all seem gorgeous at the moment!) and we’d wanted a worker. Do I say no??

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 10:16:16 AM »
Hi there!
Do you mind me asking where the litter is based? We too are about to buy from a working mum crossed with show stud (though I believe he has working in his blood and certainly looks more working). I’ve not owned a cocker before. We chose a gorgeous brown boy...but I’m now worried it’ll be bad in some way. Their temperaments all seem gorgeous at the moment!) and we’d wanted a worker. Do I say no??

Only you can answer the question but you should be asking the breeder why they have crossed the strains.  As I have mentioned above, they are bred for different reasons and conformity.  You may be lucky with the pup but equally you may have a high maintenance difficult dog to train with strong prey drive.  Bit of a lottery but only you can make the decision if you wish to take that chance.

I wouldn’t be paying any more than £1000 for cross strain cocker, actually, I wouldn't have a cross strain cocker.....

Offline Kiki90

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »
Hi there.

I am in talks to buy a puppy which is a mix between a show type cocker spaniel and a working cocker spaniel. The mum is a working cocker who has been bred with a show type cocker stud. Has anyone had an experience or can give me advice on the mix breeds?

Hello Caitlin, just popping in my thoughts for what they are worth.

In December we brought home what we were told was a show cocker -
But as the puppy grew we began to see similarities in look and behaviours as a working, and so we are pretty sure we have a cross.

During my time of wondering about wether he was a cross - I did a lot of research about cross breeding and what I can gather is it’s really not advised. As others have mentioned, the breeds are really entirely different -
From their coat down to their energy levels and prey drive.

Of course you may find some breeds with vice versus extremes.

Our pup is extremely prey driven. He cannot be left with the cats. He is also very nose driven and is constant nose to ground -
Making training , especially recall very difficult. He is very high energy.

He has some aptitude’s that I think are from the show cocker strain such as the low sitting ears and longer face ... but I don’t think he has the personality of a show.

Anyway, I have had to unfortunately rehome him to my mother in law at the moment (long story which can be found on another thread) , so I feel like I have no right to tell others what they should or shouldn’t do - but I would say to read about each breed separately- decide which one is for you - and wether you could manage if you ended up with a puppy who had stronger behaviours from the other ‘side’ . I would also think that you should pay less for a mix , £1000 or less. We did pay £1000 despite thinking he was a KC show cocker.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 08:39:01 AM »
Kiki90 your note is very helpful and informative as are all the posts you’ve put on the forum  :D

Personal experience is priceless, your knowledge with your boy will help many others - hope he’s doing well at your MIL?

Caitlin_xoxo if you decide to go ahead with the pup, no one on here will judge you for it, in fact I know we will all be welcoming and as helpful as anyone can be.  Its incredibly difficult to walk away from a pup and if its healthy and well bred (healthy parents and good temperament for your needs) then the long term risks are reduced also.   There are a lot of experienced owners that can help with the teething stage, the teenage phase and any issues you may face on your cocker spaniel ownership journey.  Keep us updated on your decision and please posts photographs of the pup you decide on.

Offline Kiki90

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 09:04:33 AM »
Kiki90 your note is very helpful and informative as are all the posts you’ve put on the forum  :D

Personal experience is priceless, your knowledge with your boy will help many others - hope he’s doing well at your MIL?

Caitlin_xoxo if you decide to go ahead with the pup, no one on here will judge you for it, in fact I know we will all be welcoming and as helpful as anyone can be.  Its incredibly difficult to walk away from a pup and if its healthy and well bred (healthy parents and good temperament for your needs) then the long term risks are reduced also.   There are a lot of experienced owners that can help with the teething stage, the teenage phase and any issues you may face on your cocker spaniel ownership journey.  Keep us updated on your decision and please posts photographs of the pup you decide on.

He is thriving at my MIL which I must say I didn’t expect - his training is coming along brilliantly and he is even able to be alone for an hour or so without becoming overwhelmed. He does bark and whine every so often but not to the extent that it is cruel and upsetting to leave him. A huge difference.

I am hoping that he may be able to come home again in the future, if my Husband allows but if not, I am just happy that he is happy and I get to see him every few days too . I miss him around the house, he’s such a lovely little thing.

He makes laugh as he is just not interested in training - far too busy hunting down even the slightest whiff of something exciting - that’s definitely his working side coming into play!

But yes, no judgement if original poster goes ahead. I don’t regret getting our mix - just for us it didn’t work out but that wasn’t because he was a mix. That was a load of other husband based problems!

Good luck with your decision!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 07:23:03 PM »

He is thriving at my MIL which I must say I didn’t expect - his training is coming along brilliantly and he is even able to be alone for an hour or so without becoming overwhelmed. He does bark and whine every so often but not to the extent that it is cruel and upsetting to leave him. A huge difference.

I am hoping that he may be able to come home again in the future, if my Husband allows but if not, I am just happy that he is happy and I get to see him every few days too . I miss him around the house, he’s such a lovely little thing.

He makes laugh as he is just not interested in training - far too busy hunting down even the slightest whiff of something exciting - that’s definitely his working side coming into play!

But yes, no judgement if original poster goes ahead. I don’t regret getting our mix - just for us it didn’t work out but that wasn’t because he was a mix. That was a load of other husband based problems!

Good luck with your decision!
Kiki90 I am so pleased to hear that things are better for you and your boy.  I totally understand that it is not what you initially set out to have.  However, if a time share et-up works best, them a happy part time dog has got to be better than you had. Happy days.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 12:35:51 PM »
Hi, we nearly went ahead with a show dam and working sire, we didn’t know the differences nor the reason it’s often not recommended. There were other reasons that stopped us proceeding that aren’t relevant here.

We weren’t bothered about colour but we really did want the old fashioned look of the Show type that I remember on chocolate boxes. We wanted big eyes, domed head, long ears and long coat. I know you can get all of that in ‘dual purpose’ dogs but we saw loads of older pups who looked more like working dogs and it was a chance we didn’t want to take.
We noticed that there were many dual purpose born in farms in Wales, a breeder told us to be careful of puppy farmers even if they showed us KC docs.
As upsetting as it was we walked away, the above along with us not having hectares to exercise a working dog was the right decision for us but may well suit others. We’re an outdoors family but I’m not sure we’d be able to provide 4 hours of exercise every single day. I’ve read that some worker’s need that, maybe not many but we couldn’t provide it.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

John