Author Topic: Cocker ears and grooming  (Read 790 times)

Offline MidwifeTori

• Hudson
Cocker ears and grooming
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
Hi ! I've got two questions I would like some help with please
1) Hudsons ears have a bit of a smell - they dont appear pink , not cheesy or disgusting just like they need a clean - how would I go about this ? How often ?
2) I have a soft brush for him - I have brushed him a  few times using a very small amount if treat when I'm doing it but he doesn't like the brush - almost looking wary/ scared- any tips ?

Thanks tori

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
Re: Cocker ears and grooming
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
Keep persevering with a tiny amount of brushing every day, lots of smooches while doing so and nice treats too (squeezy cheese was a good one for us). He'll soon come to associate grooming with nice feelings. Also, it's a good idea to use a specific place for grooming, such as the top of his cage.

Puppy ears do smell a bit doggy. If they are dirty, you can use some ear cleaner on cotton wool. If there's a lot of brown stuff he might have ear mites. Again, it's a good idea to get him used to having his ears handled as cockers are sometimes prone to ear infections.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
Primula cheese works wonders, just squeeze a tiny bit and let them lick while you brush.  Easier with 2 people but I have done it alone! Just do it for very short periods at first.

I find it easier to groom Jem on the ironing board, she behaves better! Others have proper grooming tables. Be careful with a wriggly pup though ;)
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:09:32 PM »
I clean Ollies ears about once a month, I use an ear cleaner on cotton wool pads and wipe the inside of his ears, I then dry them with a dry pad. When dry I apply Thornits powder using a small paint brush. He loves having his ears done done.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »
I use Johnson's Eye & Ear Wipes to rub around the inside of the ear, about once a week - gets off all the brown bits! I kind of open the ear inside out and then wipe off any stubborn waxy bits. Henry also suffers from white cloggy bits in the fur at the bottom of his ears - haven't quite worked out how to cure this yet - he hates me brushing that bit and I've made it bleed before where I've tried to separate the clogs :(

We've just bought some Primula to try tonight - kibble was what we've been using until now, but my hubby's fingers get a bit sore!

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:54:52 PM »
I have cleaned Elmo's ears since he was a pup, every three weeks or so. A few drops of ear cleaner (not many), wipe with dry cotton wool the best I can and let him shake his head at the end. He never had ear problems. I clean his eyes with sterile serum (they sell it at the pharmacy) when they get cloggy. Treats every time and praise and he loves it.
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline MidwifeTori

• Hudson
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 07:38:56 AM »
Thanks guys ! Will have a look round ! Really appreciate all the advice !