Author Topic: Gone away  (Read 1153 times)

Offline hanandhen

Gone away
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
Sorry, me again...

So teaching 'gone away' - I'm a bit unclear on when to click. I have currently settled on clicking as I pick up the dummy to show that it is a good thing to let the dummy be picked up by someone else (not that he'd try and nick it off me, but am hoping this might translate to being good while another dog retrieves, which is a challenge we have not yet faced). Is that right?

Offline riotous_uk

• Druidale GSDs and SWDs
Re: Gone away
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:57:21 AM »
to be honest, when doing this exercise, I probably wouldn't click (click ends the behaviour and the dog may think the dummy is up for grabs again). I would just pick the dummy up and ignore all efforts by hte dog to get it, and when he is calm, settled and 'swtiched off' from the dummy, then I would give him another retrieve.

If I've got this wrong, I'm sure Nicola will come along and sort us out :)
Pauline
Member APDT 660
Pawsitively Dogs

Offline JohnW

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »
Theres information on the link below on clicker training gundogs it may be of use to you. ;)

www.thegundogclub.co.uk/Reference/training/clicker/index.html

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
No, I agree with Riotous, I wouldn't click this either, it could potentially just confuse the dog as you click as you pick it up and he thinks 'bingo, that's that job done!' when really the exercise isn't over. You want him to keep sitting put, keep ignoring that particular dummy and be ready for the next command so I would just pick up, 'gone away' and carry on with the exercise.

Gone away is generally part of an ongoing exercise iykwim. For example while we're on the beating line birds will obviously be being shot in front of us but I don't necessarily want Rodaidh to keep picking up as we go along so if he sees a bird fall and marks it but I don't want him to pick it I'll tell him 'gone away' and cast him on to keep hunting in the direction we were going. He knows that that one's not for him but his job is to find the next one. Likewise if at the end of the drive the guns want to send their own dogs out for their own particular retrieves I can 'gone away' Ro from those ones and redirect him onto the 'free' birds that need to be picked.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »
Wow Sarah, that is great, it must take allot of time, but it sounds great being able to get the dogs to do this