Author Topic: Jasper & Hyde  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Sooty

• Site Member
Jasper & Hyde
« on: August 02, 2004, 07:22:05 PM »
Hello everyone!  It's been so long since I've been on the forum.  Hope everyone is OK!

I've got 2 little problems with Jasper (aka Jasper & Hyde ... all will become clear!) ... please help us!

When chewing a bone he growls very aggressively if anyone tries to go near him.  His tail wags incessantly and seems happy and playful but the growl is his "I'm not playing" growl (the same as the one in the next problem ... see below).  Any ideas?  If you ask him to "Give" the bone to you, he does.

The second problem is more serious.  On a number of occasions we have had need to restrain him by holding his collar.  When either Christine or I attempt to go near his collar he flips. Growls, snarls and snaps.  This will continue until you back away, then he instantly will come over tail between his legs being affectionate.  At no point has he been smacked or 'abused' when being loosely held at the collar (or not to our knowledge).  This is very worrying as it happened today with my 5 year old niece, up until then it had only been Christine and I.

I do not think it is a dominance thing, but would really like to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

Simon & Christine                    

Offline ellehcim

• Site Member
Jasper & Hyde
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 09:12:09 AM »
hi david and christine

i am afraid i can not give you much advice, just to sympathise really.

i have a similar problems with ben, we go to dog training and he just does not like the trainer or anyone else realy holding his collar !
this only began at dog training, so not sure if it is a power thing! he is starting to get to that teenage stage i think.

sorry i can't offer any wise words, but good luck
Michelle                    
1st time cocker owner

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Jasper & Hyde
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 02:02:32 PM »
MMmm, I think holding a dogs collar is a difficult thing for the dog, as it's on the neck.. When dogs fight they often try to get hold of the neck, so it could be to do with this.

Only an idea but have you tried clicker training, could you get Jasper to sit for you and just put your fingers on his collar, then click and treat... Keep repeating until he's used to you putting your fingers on his collar.  Then progress to maybe slipping a finger under etc...?  I don't know if this would work but with lots of repetition and very good treats he'd probably get used to it.  This is the way they taught us at puppy training.

I try not to grab the collars on my boys because I've seen Neo react badly to it because he thought he was being attacked by another dog, but it makes putting the leads on and off quite difficult if you can't get hold of the collar!                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline bunny

• Site Member
Jasper & Hyde
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 03:18:05 PM »
i am not sure if this is helpfull but i would never back away from my cockers, as you are letting them think they are top dog, stronger than you, sort of thing, you must keep their respect or other behaviour problems could follow, perhaps in cuddle time or play time place your hands gently in a non threatning manner, around the neck and pet the ears or a place he likes, and treat him and say good boy or his name, and with his toys place them on his head or his back, as they drop and he catches it or runs after it, he will may be see the neck area less threatning i have not had this with mine so hope this helps, goodluck :wink:                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Jasper & Hyde
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 12:16:00 PM »
On a number of occasions we have had need to restrain him by holding his collar.  

What was happening at the times that you had to hold onto his collar?  Dogs don't always growl because they are being nasty - if we do not see the stress signals they give off - it is the next way that they can communicate that something is making them very uncomfortable and that are letting us know they want out of that situation.  Just wondering if he has been in a position at some point that flight was not an option or maybe he was a little stressed?  I might be way off here - just one scenario that springs to mind:?:

I would go with Taniacs advice - that wonderful things happen when the neck area is touched and treats fall from the sky!  At any point if he growls you are moving too fast for him.  Sounds daft this bit but yawning, heavy blinking and looking away constantly will all calm the dog down as well.  

I assume that he is not in pain with his neck?  Wishing you the best of luck.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Jasper & Hyde
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 12:46:56 PM »
Simon and Christine

Have a look at this forum - it is ran by a lady called Gill  who is a training and dog behaviourist.  She currently works for one of the big rescue centres as a behavioural advisor.  Would be well worth you posting your problem on here.  The whole forum is aimed at +ve methods only.  

www.takingthelead.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09