Author Topic: Long line training advice please  (Read 629 times)

Offline Opher

Long line training advice please
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »
We have just started using a long line to train eddy's recall and was wondering whether eddy should be using a harness, we've had two dog trainers with very different ideas on ways to train him and one said we should as otherwise he could get whiplash and the other said it will encourage him to pull which is something else we are training him not to do at the same time. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
Re: Long line training advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
I always use a harness with a long line  :D The idea of a long line is that you do not hold onto it, but let the dog trail it on the ground behind them - so you will not encourage pulling  ;)
You will find that the line 'trails' better on the ground, with a harness than with a collar, and If you do need to step on it, you will not jar Eddy's neck  ;) Hope that makes sense !

Offline Opher

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
Thank you, we are having to hold the long line at the moment because eddy does not have any awareness of anything around him,   He's a rescue dog who the trainer thinks has never been walked before so when he gets outside he loses control and goes mad, we're hoping that after a couple of weeks we can try leaving the long line on the ground.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »
Thank you, we are having to hold the long line at the moment because eddy does not have any awareness of anything around him,   He's a rescue dog who the trainer thinks has never been walked before so when he gets outside he loses control and goes mad, we're hoping that after a couple of weeks we can try leaving the long line on the ground.
Ahh  :D. I'm sure all your hard work will pay off  :D Just seen pics of Eddy, he is lovely  :luv:

Offline crazybailey

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:35:45 PM »
Thank you, we are having to hold the long line at the moment because eddy does not have any awareness of anything around him,   He's a rescue dog who the trainer thinks has never been walked before so when he gets outside he loses control and goes mad, we're hoping that after a couple of weeks we can try leaving the long line on the ground.
He sounds very much like my boy, we have had him nearly a year, exactly the same problem only as I USED to know his last owner, I knew he had never ever been walked  >:D. We have worked very hard with the pulling which is starting to come together, we still have to long line unless we know the area is secure as he still gets the control issues and losses himself...again this is coming slowly but going to be a lot longer than the not pulling! We also still have the line attached to us, I have a 50ft line.... Just keep going and don't lose hope as it will come if you keep at it  :D
Oh nearly forgot, we used to use harness due to whiplash worries, but now he has a respect for the collar we use collar more often than not if using the long flexi in the woods, but if on training session we do it in a clear field ATM I put both on so can switch easily to what suits best and use the long line instead of flexi  as distractions are different each time. Hope that makes sense.
I'm normally on my phone, please forgive any typing errors!

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:34 PM »
Have you tried the Top Barks reliable recall training? There is a sticky for it.

I'd recommend it, alongside what you are doing.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline crazybailey

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »
Agree with the top barks recall, it is fab. We have been using it to with the long line.
I'm normally on my phone, please forgive any typing errors!

Offline Opher

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
Thank you everyone, I think I'll give the whistle and top barks recall a go.

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 09:10:05 PM »
Just to reiterate you should be using a harness with a long line.
Best of luck

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk