Author Topic: Flea control and worming  (Read 702 times)

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
Flea control and worming
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »
Hi all

Few questions on this, wondered what people's recommendations are, and advice

For young puppy, what is best flea control and difference between the options? 
Have heard that spot on ones wash off when puppy has bath - is this right?
Also how often does this need to be done - packs say lasts 1-2 months, yet most advice says 3-6 months between doses?

And best option for worming?
And is this easy to do at home, or better with vet?
All advice I have heard for this is every 3 months - any different ideas?

Cheers all :-)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Flea control and worming
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »
Fleas: I used Advantage spot on for Smudge and will continue using it for Minstrel. (Puppy one) Never had problems with it washing off to be honest, long as you leave adequate time between application and bath (24hours I find is ok) You can buy flea treatments on line cheaper than vet (unless you have a wellpet or similar plan with them in which case that may work out cheaper) You cvan get most flea treatments online without prescription from your vet. I don't tend to use the flea treatment every month - unless I have good reason to.

For worming: I get Milbemax from the vet - not dear (in comparison to other vet treatments) and I do find it works well. Will be starting worming end of this week, as Minstrel was dosed with Panacur with the breeder b4 he came home. Will then do him every 3 months I expect.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
Thanks

The subject of vet plan scheme and doing at home is one of reasons for the questions;
Local vet does package; flea, worm, vaccs, chip plus 2 checkups - 9.95pm

If we are doing flea and worm at home, it may not make sense to use the scheme, as can get vaccs elsewhere for 30(both), chip for 9, flea and worm for around 30-50 (for year?)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 10:22:37 PM »
Thanks

The subject of vet plan scheme and doing at home is one of reasons for the questions;
Local vet does package; flea, worm, vaccs, chip plus 2 checkups - 9.95pm

If we are doing flea and worm at home, it may not make sense to use the scheme, as can get vaccs elsewhere for 30(both), chip for 9, flea and worm for around 30-50 (for year?)

£9.95X12 = £120 approx, seems a lot to me, think I would rather shop around and keep the money in my bank instead of theirs, paying only when I need to & I am pretty sure our vet is dearer than that. & you only need the chip done once
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
Hiya, worming recommendation for puppies is 1x a month until 6 months, then once every 3 months. (despite having been wormed by his breeder, my puppy 'produced' roundworms in his no. 2s one day when he was about 13 weeks - disgusting!  But not unusual as most puppies are born with worms - hence the regularity of worming whilst they are still young).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »
Hiya, worming recommendation for puppies is 1x a month until 6 months, then once every 3 months. (despite having been wormed by his breeder, my puppy 'produced' roundworms in his no. 2s one day when he was about 13 weeks - disgusting!  But not unusual as most puppies are born with worms - hence the regularity of worming whilst they are still young).

Thanks for useful info - I had forgotten it was a monthly dose until 6 months.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:30:31 AM »
Our two are on Advocate spot on for their worming/flea control because there have been cases of lungworm in the area and they're both partial to a bit of slug re-location. Even online, Advocate is about £16 for a three month supply plus the cost of a veterinary prescription, about £12, £76 pa. Add the cost of the annual vaccination, around £42, two full checkups at about £40 each and you're already well beyond the cost of a yearly plan.
My vet gives me a six month supply of Advocate and Drontal for each of our dogs whenever we go to her for their six monthly check, there's no charge as it's covered by the vet plan and it's applied by me at home.

I'm all in favour of economising wherever possible but not as far as my dog's health is concerned. There have been scares about buying drugs online and finding they're not effective so I'll not take the risk and recently there have been reports of microchips, even from a reputable company, going faulty.

I prefer to have anything remotely "veterinary" done by my local vet as she knows us and our dogs, she knows the various diseases and parasites that are going the rounds in our area and she owns an absolutely gorgeous cocker spaniel  :luv: but, above all, she's qualified, I'm not, and vets carry insurance just in case something wrong  ;).

Bob.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:07:38 AM »
Our vets isn't as expensive for check ups (£29), but a quick check of prices online, shows it may well be worth it;

2 check ups - 58
Flea - 50
Worm - 24
Vacs - 30 (based on price for both initial ones at diff vet)
Chip - 9

Total 171 for first year, then 162 after

Wasn't aware of need for vet prescriptions, so that's extra to above prices

Still quite a bit more than 119 (12 * 9.95)....

Dont fancy having to take her to vets every month just for flea, so will see what plan is as to wether they provide us with supply