Author Topic: 'Dummy' training.....  (Read 1094 times)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
'Dummy' training.....
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »
I started to train Ozzy to pick up a 'dummy' this morning - he did get the message eventually that he had to touch the dummy to get the treat, and not just stand at my feet barking, sitting, laying down, the whole repertoire in fact!    >:D   It will be interesting to see if he remembers when I do another session later on.  Wish me luck, folks!

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
Re: 'Dummy' training.....
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
LOL been there and have the T shirt, pretty soon he will get the hang of it then will walk around the house / garden looking for something to bring you to get a treat
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:59:15 PM »
Oh yes! :005:  Once Chaz got the idea just about anything that was moveable was brought to me, usually smaller flowerpots with or without plants in them.

I've often wondered if the colour had anything to do with it as the brown colour of plastic pots is very similar to the colour of his training dummies.

Bob.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
Didn't get round to another session yesterday, but did one this morning, and boy, did he remember what he had to do?!!!  >:D  So, I think we can safely move on to the next stage, which is getting him to actually pick up the dummy.  Watch this space....

BTW I'm hoping that if we can get him to bring the dummy to us and give it up, it may help with his guarding issues - well, I can dream, can't I?  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
Didn't get round to another session yesterday, but did one this morning, and boy, did he remember what he had to do?!!!  >:D  So, I think we can safely move on to the next stage, which is getting him to actually pick up the dummy.  Watch this space....

BTW I'm hoping that if we can get him to bring the dummy to us and give it up, it may help with his guarding issues - well, I can dream, can't I?  :005:

That sounds great - so why the  >:D ? ...or am I missing something here?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Juno

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
Good boy :luv:

It probably took us a couple of months work to get a decent retrieve to hand using this back-chain method.  I got lazy near the end and am quite content with her spitting it straight into my hand rather than holding on/presenting until I ask for it.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 01:09:25 PM »

>:D = anything for food!!!!  But trying to get him to 'remember' anything without the promise of food at the end of it is like trying to get blood out of a stone!  It really should have been a  :banana: I suppose.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
Good boy :luv:

It probably took us a couple of months work to get a decent retrieve to hand using this back-chain method.  I got lazy near the end and am quite content with her spitting it straight into my hand rather than holding on/presenting until I ask for it.

I think I will be happy if he ends up just bringing it back and spitting it out onto the ground at my feet, but we've a long way to go before we get to that stage, I think.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »

>:D = anything for food!!!!  But trying to get him to 'remember' anything without the promise of food at the end of it is like trying to get blood out of a stone!  It really should have been a  :banana: I suppose.

AAh right - but he is trying, bless him  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.