Author Topic: Molly suddenly timid  (Read 573 times)

Offline Panda

Molly suddenly timid
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »
Molly is now 9 months old, Rolo is 18 months, up until now they have both been really socialable with people and other dogs but all of a sudden Molly has become really timid with people, she's ok with OH and myself and my mum and dad but not with other people. Rolo has always been a very 'in your face' dog, he wants to be friends with everyone and everything

OH's friend has just been round and she wouldn't go near him, not even when he offered a treat which is unheard of, she knows him and there has never been a problem before.

Also she's never been keen on traffic but her fear of cars etc also seems to be getting worse.  We live in a place where lots of their walks don't involve encountering traffic or people - is this the problem, should she have more pavement walks to get her used to it or will this just make her more miserable?

They were recently in kennels for two weeks while we were on holiday and they seemed to love it there and we certainly had no worries but could this have something to do with it? 

I have read lots on here about people getting a 2nd dog and training them separately, I didn't do this and realise this was a mistake and I'm going to have to work harder now ironing out the issues.

Rolo was much easier to train than Molly, he loved his classes and was toilet trained within 2 weeks of bringing him home, we've also had to go right back to basics with Molly's toilet training and she absolutely hated her classes, I only went to a couple and stopped because she was so miserable there, I'm thinking of rejoining but is this the right thing to do?

She is the most affectionate little cocker and I don't want her to go through life being frightened - any advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
Re: Molly suddenly timid
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:47:26 PM »
My first thought was that she's going through the second fear phase?

I'd just treat things as normal, don't pander to her too much when she's scared as you'll reaffirm her belief that there's something to be scared of. Just a bright "Come on Molly" and carry on as normal. That works quite well with Daisy when she encounters something she's wary of, I just say "It's alright Daisy" or "stop being silly!" and carry on with whatever we were doing.

Offline jaydee67

Re: Molly suddenly timid
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »
Charlie's doing it too - hoping she'll come out of it!