Author Topic: Space for another one?  (Read 800 times)

Offline Meggity

• Holly
Space for another one?
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »
Holly is now 2 years old and I have been considering the possibility of another cocker joining us (what is this addiction?!).  I will probably be going down the rescue route, after seeing so many of the posts here on this forum, however the main issue concerning me is space.  I currently live in a medium size two bedroom house with two large groundfloor rooms, an medium sized enclosed garden and plenty of access to wide open spaces a stone's throw from the front door.  I also work from home and so am around all day, leaving Holly at home alone normally for no more than 2 hours at a time.

Would size of house be a factor for rescue organisations when rehoming? 

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
Re: Space for another one?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »
I would think you sound like the perfect adopter to me  ;) Good luck with your search for a new furbaby, taking on a rescue isn't always the easiest option but it is very rewarding  :luv: :luv:

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
Don't think the size of the house or garden is much of a factor, but the only way to find out is to try!  I think you sound perfect!  Good luck.

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
Sounds just about the size of our home,
and we adopted a Many Tears puppy farm girl seven years ago and it
sounds like you are a perfect adopter to me as well as Poppypuppy
seeing these dogs come to life
after a rotten start is one of the most rewarding thing
best of luck

Val Honey and Holly

Offline linda c

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:01:14 PM »
Agree, the size of house and garden aren't important, and as you're at home most of the time you would make ideal adopters :blink: As you already have a cocker you sound perfect for a rescue dog. There are  that many out there that need new homes I'd go down that road.
 :luv: I've had many re-homed and rescue dogs and they've given us years of love, and it is so rewarding.

Offline Meggity

• Holly
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
Would it matter that Holly is my first dog, and so I am not as experienced as others here on the board, do you think?  How do things work out with insurance, if the history's of rescue dogs are unknown? So many questions and possibilities going around in my mind :)

Thanks for the reassurance though!

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »
Hi there,
I do home checks for rescue /foster dogs and the size of the house really isn't an issue.
I get a feel for the people from chatting to them and I usually try and take one of my dogs with me - especially if they have children or a resident dog already - so I can see how they are with my dog and how their children and resident dogs react to an interloper.
I am lucky cos I have 4 dogs to choose from so I match the dog to the situation - I tend to take Suki if I am going to someone who wants a lurcher so they can see her size, how much she moults and see how nervous she is in new places and situations (she is a rescue)
If someone has children, I either take Alfie (very bouncy puppy but obedient when required) or Dexter (very laid back ball of fluff)

Poppy comes if someone is looking for an older lap dog type as she proves that even little dogs need exercise!!

I don't have a printer so generally run through the questions from memory but to be honest, most rescues need to know the same kind of information.

I am sometimes suspicious when I first ring up to book the appointment - I try and do weekdays during my school holidays.  That way if someone has said they are at home all day every day, but are hard to pin down to a daytime appointment I always wonder if they are being truthful with me.

I am also surprised at how picky people can be about the time of my visit - I try and be flexible but as I am doing it free of charge and in my own time, I kind of expect people to be flexible and accommodating too - but believe me that is not always the case!

Good luck and you certainly sound like an ideal adopter to me!!

Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
Would it matter that Holly is my first dog, and so I am not as experienced as others here on the board, do you think?  How do things work out with insurance, if the history's of rescue dogs are unknown? So many questions and possibilities going around in my mind :)

Thanks for the reassurance though!

Any rescue should take into account your knowledge, my ex puppy farm breeding cocker from Many Tears was a huge learning curve for us but with time and help from my wonderful doggie friends we got through a lot of the issues that Bella had together. As for insurance, Pet Plan took on Bella with no issues at all

Of course it goes without saying that you have us all here to support you  :-*

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
Our first joint dog was a rescue cocker, and he was my soul dog  :luv: He had some issues (extremely noise sensitive, SA) but he taught us so much and got us hooked onto the breed.
Adopting him led me into volunteering for our local rescue and doing home visits, and I would say your accomodation would be no problem whatsoever....and the fact you are home a lot would tick extra boxes.....(some dogs are handed into rescue as they can't cope with being left for long periods)
Our second was an ex puppy farmed girl from MT  :luv: who was a companion to our first. Collectively they were the 'gruesome twosome' ....and now we are on our third  :luv:- we only ever have rescue dogs as that's what our parents did, and sadly there are plenty of cockers (and other dogs) who need homes.....
We've never had a problem insuring, even without a date of birth or history. Might depend on the insurance company though. When we adopted them Boysie was 5, Smudge 3, and Charlie 5. All were insured without any problem, if that helps.