Author Topic: 1-2-1 training.  (Read 837 times)

Offline dieselboy

1-2-1 training.
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »
So diesel is coming on 8 month now and we are still waiting on a space at training classes (Around another 7 weeks).We have looked at other trainers however with kids bed times etc it just isn't possible for the days and times and there are very little around the area. We have been trying to train him at home with a little success however once he is distracted that is it. He is much better than he once was but tbh he needs proper training and I don't think waiting that long for a class is really good enough. We have been in touch with a trainer who does 1-2-1 training. I was just wondering if anyone has used 1-2-1 rather than classes and how did they find the results? I just want what is best for all of us.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: 1-2-1 training.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »
I haven't had any one to one training but it sounds like a good idea for you and Diesel given that training classes are difficult to find and fit in. If you've found a good trainer who uses positive methods I'm sure he/she will be able to help you to find ways to get Diesel focussed on you and hopefully the sessions will be fun and rewarding for you and Diesel.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:02 PM »
My worker has gundog 121 lessons once a month, and has done since about 7 months.  They're very valuable as you have the trainer's full attention and an hour's opportunity to ask whatever you like/need.  Only slight downside is that the dogs don't learn to work in a group with other dogs as distractions.  But you can easily do this yourself at the local park.  And your trainer should give you tips on things to practice in distracting environments. If you're concerned about his behaviour now, I'd not be waiting another 7 weeks to see someone.  (is he working type or show?  If working I'd highly recommend gundopg training as it'll cover the basics as well as gundog stuff and will use his natural instincts).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline dieselboy

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »
Not really bothered with his behaviour. He is ok. Just think 7+ Weeks is a long time. He is a working cocker and his natural instinct came out yesterday. I was walking him on a long training lead, went into the trees and brought back a baby bird. I just think it is not fair for him to be on a lead every walk because of his nature and waiting so long is not right.

As he is a working cocker, also the family pet I have been thinking about agility or gun dog training but not quite sure yet. I think it is something I will need to speak to the trainer about if we can agree on times and everything.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:48:35 PM »
I have a show cocker and if I had my time again I would have done Gun Dog training with her, we did find a good training school but as it was the usual type of school, it was not stimulating enough for her.

I know many people have had success with both types of training, I guess it's what works for your boy.

Good luck.

Offline Sirius Mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »
our last dog was a show cocker and we did some gun dog training with him. We had some oneon one sessions and shared sessions with another friend and her show cocker. It made it less expensive but it was still a small private class so we could concentrate on the areas we both needed. So it worked well for us. This time we are joining the same trainer in her new general puppy classes which are obviously larger mixed group but this is working well too.

I'd say give it a go. It will give you some pointers and help prepare for general classes on September.

All the best  :D

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »
I think it depends on the trainer - same as with classes  ;)

If you find a good trainer I am sure it would be worthwhile - you can concentrate on the things you feel you want to.  Tbh, with a good trainer I think the more training you can do the better.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »
Hi.  I think one-to-one is great, but it's not magic.  Training is continuous and still up to you.  If it's recall that's a worry, there are threads on here (I know there's one by Top Barks) that give you a step by step guide with recall.  If you've not done it already, you should start now, regardless of trainers, classes etc.  Good luck with everything.