Author Topic: starting agility  (Read 4874 times)

Offline Rachel1992

starting agility
« on: March 27, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »
Hi,

I have a working cocker around 19 months old and would love to start training agility with him.

Can I ask how I start doing so? Have no experience in it but I believe he would absolutely love it!
It's difficult for me to get to classes as I don't drive.

Thanks,
Would love some advice

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: starting agility
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »
It's probably going to be difficult unless there's an agility club near to where you live. Have a look on agilitynet to see if there's a club near you.

Alternatively, and if you're happy to do it just for fun and on your own at home, you could look on Youtube to see if there are any basic training videos and buy a beginner's basic agility kit or make one. This is typical of a basic kit http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/agility_training/agility/hurdle_jump/131130?gclid=CNj9pNDRyMQCFSzKtAod7DoAtA

Offline Rachel1992

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:52:21 PM »
Thank you.

Very happy to do it on my own at home :) I'll have a look x

Offline Gertie

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:10:18 PM »
That looks very exciting Elaine, I'm on a waiting list for a class (should be staring in 2 months time approx) at present with my 11 month old working cocker. Presently doing dog obedience classes, is there anything else I can do as a preliminary to agility?

Offline kate2

• ** Kiwi & Lilly ** 4yr old WCS girls
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 09:42:22 AM »
We've just started agility with our two, but as the group classes are so popular we are doing one-to-ones until a space becomes available.

We've done three classes so far and I think the "wait" is the most important obedience skill, and the recall! You could "wait" practice at home and then calling him over a small makeshift  there's lots of YouTube vids around as well :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
Hi Gertie :D, as kate2 has said the most important things to have established before starting agility classes are a solid wait and a solid recall. If your dog has those and can stay focussed on you that will be a really good starting point.

If you're hoping to compete in future please make sure that the club/class you're joining is aimed at people who compete. There are lots of fun agility classes around, nothing wrong with that, but the standard of training is likely to be lower than you'll need for competition and may even teach bad habits that you'd have to unlearn before competing.

Be warned, it's addictive. I used to compete with William but had to stop almost 6 years ago when he developed a back problem. I was heartbroken because we had a great time and it forged a really strong bond between us. William was very focussed on me and could read my body language with a glance, which was really useful for me as I can't run fast and had to rely on him recognising my shoulder turns, hand signals and verbal cues so that I could send him on over obstacles while I took a short cut to the next part of the course. When it works it's like magic and Will and I had the best time :luv: