Author Topic: 'The Dog Listener'  (Read 1141 times)

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
'The Dog Listener'
« on: June 16, 2015, 10:32:48 PM »
Hi everyone  :D

I was hoping someone could clarify something for me....

I have been looking for a trainer who can help me with Pippa (who can be anxious around other dogs since being bitten) and have found one who uses the Tellington TTouch approach which I thought will be useful for us.  However on another website the same trainer advocates the methods of Jan Fennell "the dog listener" and has been trained by her.  Am I right in thinking that the "dog listener" approach uses a lot of pack theory and teaches people to be the 'alpha'?? Please correct me if I'm wrong... I could be getting my wires crossed and don't have time to read the Jan Fennell Books to find out!

I am not interested in using these 'dominance theory' techniques and want to get my facts straight before committing to a trainer who may use them (even if in disguise  ph34r)

Thanks in advance  :D

Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
Re: 'The Dog Listener'
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
I personally would not go nearer any trainer, who had been trained using Jan Fennell's methods of training  :016:. you are best finding a trainer from the APDT website. just like to add that Tellington  TTouch is very beneficial and can help dogs relax. ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply.  That's what I found confusing as they are registered with the APDT and a qualified Tellington TTouch practitioner, so to also practice the Jan Fennell methods seems a bit strange to me...

Good to hear good things about Tellington TTouch though - I'm really keen to use this approach with Pippa  :D
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:26:27 AM »
also the dog listener approach is one size fits all so hardly 'listening' - this means they probably found it works for some dogs but not for others and if they believe in their approach so much it must be the dog at fault plus other aspect can often subdue a dog more than they should
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »
Sounds like a very confused trainer!  >:(  :005:

I would steer clear of anything to do with Jan Fennell too  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 08:24:56 AM »
Sounds like a very confused trainer!  >:(  :005:

I would steer clear of anything to do with Jan Fennell too  ;)

My thoughts exactly!