Off Topic > Computer Help

Companies 'waking up' your devices

(1/3) > >>

Finvarra:
Yesterday I preordered a kindle book on Amazon, using my ipad as usual. I have a kindle and download the books to that, not the ipad usually. The confirmation email,said the book will,automatically downloaded to your kindle upon publication (today). Went to bed yesterday, the wifi was switched off on both the kindle and the ipad. This morning I opened both devices to,find the wifi switched on, the book downloaded to the kindle, and an email telling me it had been downloaded.

I find this quite worrying. Amazon obviously woke up the ipad and the kindle, and it makes we wonder if any,other companies can do this. What are the security implications? It's the first time I've preordered a book, don' think I,will,do,that again.

Book by Phil Rickman BTW, if you like crime involving spooky goings on with the lady CofE exorcist, I can recommend. Great dialogue, interesting and sympathetic characters, and deep multi-layered stories. I'm on book 14!

Lesley and Dylan

bizzylizzy:
HMmmmmmm :huh: sounds a bit strange! I don't know a lot about it but might it be an idea to check with your internet provider re the security aspect? I was always under the impression that the ipads and Apple devices were pretty safe from external interference, although I suppose nothing is 100%. What I have noticed with Amazon, is that I only have to look at something once and everytime I log into facebook or my emails I'm bombarded with adverts for the same thing. OH's Xmas surprise was spoilt because I'd accidently used his account to look at presents and so all the adverts came up on his pad, it was dead giveaway!!! >:D.
Would be interested to know how its happened, if you do find out!  ;)

MIN:
If you clear your browsing history just before you switch off it will stop the adverts.
 on the down side it will log you out of any sites you have open

bizzylizzy:
Good tip Min! Thanks! 👍

Londongirl:
Are you SURE you turned the wifi off on your iPad? I can't see how Amazon could wake a device not connected to the internet. It would not be able to see it or communicate with it to turn the wifi on... because the wifi's not on.

If your Kindle has 3G it will be connected in the same way as a mobile phone when the wifi is off and downloads will come that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version