Off Topic > Computer Help

Companies 'waking up' your devices

<< < (2/3) > >>

Blueberry:
Does your iPad not connect immediately to the internet when you open the cover?  Mine does, and Kindle books download extremely quickly.
I don't believe Amazon can wake your devices.

Finvarra:
I'm 99% sure that the wifi was turned off on the ipad, and absolutely positive it was off on the kindle. I never leave the wifi switched on unless I am on the net, I always switch it off in Settings (it drains your battery if you,leave it on). Ditto the kindle. On the ipad you just swipe up to bring up the settings to switch it on or off, it's one of those automatic things like locking the door when you go out. Although how many of us have had that sinking feeling when you can't remember shutting or locking the door  :005:

The kindle is old, it was the first version out, so,doesn't have 3G. You have to go to the menu to switch wifi on or off.  OK it's possible I had left the ipad on, but definitely not the kindle. Very puzzled.

Lesley

Londongirl:
Wifi doesn't drain your battery. Apps drain your battery. Turn off 'background refresh' in settings if you want to save battery and do a double tap to see what apps are open. Close ones that you don't often use by swiping up. Exiting an app by pressing the home button doesn't close the app, it just switches the screen to the home page. All apps keep running unless you actively close them. Even turning your device off and on again doesn't close all apps as some automatically reopen. Turning off your wifi makes no difference to your battery at all. I have an iPad running that I haven't used for ten days. Still on wifi, email etc running as normal. Battery still over 50%.

Now, it is not possible to turn on your wifi remotely. Just not possible. Just think about it. With no wifi on, there is no way for Amazon or anyone to communicate with the device. Even Apple can't do it. If your device is lost and not connected to the internet in any way, all the features of Find My Phone (or Find My iPad) are unavailable. You can remotely lock it, but the lock only takes effect if the person who has the device connects it to the internet. If Apple can't do it, I'm pretty sure Amazon aren't routinely doing it just to send downloads.

As for your Kindle - my first gen keyboard Kindle had 3G, so you never know. It's not obvious in the settings.

Finvarra:
Hear what you are saying, Londongirl. I thought it was impossible too, but when you hear what hackers get up to it makes you wonder  ph34r.   :lol:

Next time I buy a kindle book via the ipad I will tell it to download without switching on the kindle and see what happens. Watch this space!

Lesley and Dylan

PennyB:
I switch my wifi off at the wall so there's no chance of anything like that happening here but something could download I guess once I wake my system up and switch the wifi back on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version