Author Topic: Cushings disease  (Read 3803 times)

Offline annclare

Cushings disease
« on: January 03, 2020, 10:25:26 AM »
My 12 and 1/2 yr old girl Nina underwent blood tests yesterday and the vet has mentioned Cushings disease to me in a phone call just now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Cushings disease
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 12:26:40 PM »
Can't help I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone will have had experience, meanwhile sending you healing cybervibes and  a couple of these :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline VickyC

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »
Hi

I had a dog with cushings, what would you like to know?

Offline annclare

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »
VickyC - Sorry but for some reason I have only just read your post! To recap, since my original post my Nina has had 3 lots of antibiotics for bacteria in her urine; latest sample showed clear so that's good news. The vet has now mentioned Cushing's disease again, which I have no knowledge of; I have googled it - as you do! - and it appears that (a) diagnosis is difficult and (b) they can live as long without treatment as with. She is 12 and 1/2, has lost some weight, also body fur, but is eating well, and still mobile with some stiffness (on Yumove), tail wagging as usual, no sign of pain, so I feel her quality of life is good right now and I obviously want to keep her so. Can you tell me what tests are involved to confirm diagnosis and did your pet take medication? Sorry for delay;would be grateful for your thoughts.         

Offline annclare

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »
Regrettably I obtained no info on Cushing's disease. The vet's I use ordered the medication required for the Cushing's test (it seems they take a blood sample on arrival, give an injection of some medication and then take  another blood sample 2 hours later) 2 weeks ago but it did not arrive as expected and actually was only received today. But now of course they are only allowed to do emergencies so the test has been put on hold for the foreseeable future. I've also received an email cancelling my next week's dental check-up. Life really is grinding to a halt. I am on my own, only going out for provisions, and am so glad I have my 2 dogs for company.Keep safe everyone. x

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »
I’ve not been on here for ages so I’ve only just seen your post. My dog, Mali has Cushings, she’s had it for a few years now and she copes really well with it. Mali has never been an unwell dog so it was shocking to see her so distressed when she was peeing indoors involuntarily. She’d never done that since she was ten weeks old so I knew something was up.

My vet tested and diagnosed Cushings and ever since, she has been taking one vetoryl tablet a day. Every now and then she has the blood tests but they always come back normal. It must be at least 4 years now since she was diagnosed and you’d never know she had any issues.

I was reassured by someone here who had previously had a dog with Cushings and we’ve never looked back. Mali will be 13 this summer and is still mistaken for a puppy when we are out.
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline annclare

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 08:14:27 AM »
So glad to read your response and pleased and reassured to know that your Mali has done so well over several years with Cushing's disease. My Nina is a similar age, 13 at the beginning of August, and although not been tested yet is showing some signs, excess drinking/urinating,(if I don't keep the water bowl topped up she rattles it round the kitchen!) hair loss, etc. She is well in herself, apart from stiff joints (me too!) for which she has Yumove daily. I hope to get her tested as soon as all this malarkey is over (the vet did mention the medication Vitoryl) Thanks again..   

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
I’m glad it helped. Nina sounds so similar to Mali. As soon as you get the diagnosis things will improve. Mali has you move and metacalm for her joints too.
Good luck xx
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline annclare

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 07:03:38 PM »
Hoping we will be able to get back to normality as quickly as we can  (will that be possible?); so want
to get Nina sorted. Keep safe everyone. xx   

Offline annclare

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 01:17:59 PM »
My girl Nina couldn't tolerate the Vetoryl med prescribed by the vet so I am now trying her on Pet WellBeing supplements. If there is anyone on here with a dog on this medication 30 mg please get in touch as I have some available. 

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 05:00:13 PM »
One of my staffie had Cushings and was prescribed vetoryl. She was okay with it and I am sorry to mention it, had a good quality of life until the end. At the time I found a very good paper written about the disease on the Internet. It is many years ago now so don't think  I will still have a copy but will look  . Peggy's disease was caused by a tumour on the pitchuary gland.. Sorry to be doom and gloom. Would say vetoryl at the vet is very expensive or it was then, best now if you need it, get prescription and buy off Internet vet site.

If you punch in Cushings disease in dogs there is still a lot of info to be found
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline annclare

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 12:49:02 PM »
Nina is no longer taking Vetoryl (vet med which made her very ill) for her Cushing's. I have started her on Pets WellBeing Adrenal support supplement and Milk Thistle (which you can't give if they are on Vetoryl), and she is much better in herself. Vet said 20% of dogs cannot tolerate Vetoryl and last as long without medication as with; end of - have been less than impressed with their attitude. She has lost quite a bit of fur and when I take her for a  walk people comment on her appearance. Obviously at the moment she is wearing a coat. Looking ahead to the spring, I would appreciate recommendations for a light weight coat which I could buy for going out time. I am spending a lot of time looking after her, but that's what we do for the whole of their lives, isn't it? I hope to  keep her for a while yet! x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 09:22:19 PM »
I think a lot of it is trial and error with these things. Would an Equafleece work for her?  Alternatively look for a lightweight raincoat or hi-viz.  They tend to be lightweight.

Offline annclare

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 09:30:25 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions ejp. I will look into them; no real rush, as doesn't look as if the weather is going to warm up any time soon! x

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 10:49:11 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions ejp. I will look into them; no real rush, as doesn't look as if the weather is going to warm up any time soon! x
Not much warmth featuring in the forecast anytime soon!  :lol2: