Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Bailey The Rescued Cocker

<< < (3/16) > >>

Jaysmumagain:
Lovely update :luv:

ejp:
I think he is doing great, it is so rewarding to see them try new things.  It does take time, but that itself is a luxury for him, as he now gets to make his own choices.  it's like a game of join the dots for him, one day they will all line up and he will make the connection.  A lovely update, thank you.

theshrew:
Sorry another long wait for an update, work is crazy but at least I’m at home in these crazy times.

Bailey - Well it’s like he’s 2 different dogs at the moment tbh. When he’s happy he’s getting to be like a normal happy cocker to a fashion. That soon turns back into I’m scared I’ve been treated badly before mode. Frustrating as this is its getting better as the days go by.

Tbh his progress 90% is due to Missy, without her I doubt we would be anywhere other than owning another dog. He absolutely adores her and puts 100% faith in whatever she does.

The challenge - he is wary of humans, not as much as he was he’s slowly coming around. Something as simple as teaching a dog to sit has been a huge challenge. The normal raise the hand and the bum sits doesn’t work, he runs off presumably something bad had happened in the past.

Well he’s eventually done it yesterday 😍 Such a small thing is a huge achievement for us, although I suspect it will take a lot longer for it to sink in. A huge step.

bizzylizzy:
That‘s a lovely update, how wonderful that Bailey and Missy have bonded so well, I‘m sure that makes a huge difference.
I can well imagine that the conventional signals we use to train the basic commands aren’t always effective  for a dog that‘s had a lot of negative experiences previously because of they way they interpret our body language. It must be a huge learning curve for you too but it sounds as if you‘re getting there.... :clapping: and of course your little helper‘s doing a grand job!  :luv:
All the best, looking forward to the next update!

Mari:
Just discovered this thread. Sounds like Bailey is in the right home! I think you (and your little helper) are doing a wonderful job, so much progress already. He reminds me a little of my own dog when I first got her, almost half-feral. His interest in you and your patience with him sounds like a promising combination. It will be so much fun to follow your story!

Just a random idea, but a target stick could help with training if he gets worried about hands. Could be easier to teach him to follow a target than hands if he has negative experiences with the latter. Well done for getting a sit, I can't imagine the challenge of training a dog that has had 5 years to learn all the wrong lessons. Big win for you  :clapping:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version