Author Topic: Walking in the Summer  (Read 894 times)

Offline Trigger

Walking in the Summer
« on: July 23, 2021, 12:55:13 PM »
Hi All,

Was after some advice around walking a 18month old Cocker Spaniel in the current weather. From what I am reading online anything above 23 degrees C is too hot. I have been doing a number of games in a paddling pool with Trigger (the dog) but feel a little uneasy that he hasn't been out for a proper walk in 2 days.

Behavior is fine and no signs of boredom.

Also worth noting is that he is currently having a few minor medical issues, small cut that is being treated and inflammation in his nose. Vet thinks he is allergic to some pollen types.

Thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Walking in the Summer
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 02:42:56 PM »
I honestly wouldn’t  worry too much about a proper walk, you can make up for it when the weather cools down a bit, missing a few days exercise won‘t have any long term effects whereas a heat stroke or burnt paws are a real danger. An early morning walk or late evening stroll is the best option I think, especially if he has a few other issues and if he‘s happy playing in his pool then that‘s fine, mental stimulation is as good a physical exercise, at least for a short while.
Pollen and mites and insects are a problem with spaniels who  always have to have  their noses into everything ( :lol2:- Humphrey poked his into a bumble bee nest a few years back  >:D )  we‘re off to the vets this afternoon as I suspect he‘s got grass seeds in his ears again, he‘s been shaking his head all day.
Every season seems to present a different cocker challenge, - when we‘re not battling with paws clogged up with snow  balls, we‘re fishing for grass seeds or ticks!  :dunno:
 :luv:

Offline rubyduby

Re: Walking in the Summer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 04:01:56 PM »
I have taken mine out for shorter walks, very slowly, with tree cover and close to a river for cooling, also I use a cool jacket, which is very useful