Author Topic: Back Problem UPDATE  (Read 5170 times)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Back Problem UPDATE
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2021, 09:32:27 AM »
Well what a night that was!!! >:(
Rushed to vet at 9.30 last night with very bloody diarrhea and dry retching. Vet suspects a reaction to Metacam which can occasionally cause stomach bleeding apparently - poor lad‘s had so much medication over the last week I‘m not really surprised. He gave him an infusion „cocktail“ and gave us another appointment for this morning. He was cramping and shaking all the way home but seemed to settle after a long drink, then he brought up all his dinner and soaked his bedding so I was up half the night changing blankets and puppy pads..
He‘s a lot brighter this morning and seems none the worse for keeping us up all night!  :lol: The vet’s  quite happy with him as well and noticed increased reaction in his paws, which is brilliant. So its two steps forward and one back at the moment and while the lounge looks like an improvised army Lazarette,  :lol: there are buckets, towels, rolls of kitchen paper and blankets tossed all over the place, Herr Humph is currently slumbering away peacefully in his crate by the window  and soaking up the sunshine!!!  :luv:
Just off to buy some dog nappies now! (Tip from Julie! )

Offline ips

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2021, 09:50:06 AM »
Flipping Eck, hope for a speedy recovery for the little chap
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2021, 10:02:34 AM »
Goodness me he is going through it atm, hoping things settle down again real soon  :luv:

Gentle  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you all, don't forget to take some time out for your own R&R whenever possible
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline annclare

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2021, 11:29:26 AM »
Thoughts and prayers are with you all, especially the dear little fella. Please keep the updates coming. xx

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
Hi Jayne oops not the night I had hoped for you...another tip when said cocker sleeps you sleep :luv:

Poor Humph hope the vets intervention has helped and just hang on to the improvement the vet noticed in his paws.  Hope you find some pads and this is the other I use find it less wriggle proof but the white pad need washing so have 4 pads on the go.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenndarcy-Dog-Incontinence-Marking-Medium/dp/B01M1LWIO8/ref=asc_df_B01M1LWIO8/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=340043329878&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9203030151163672104&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007423&hvtargid=pla-877344423752&psc=1

You deserve some wine largest glass you can find.

As always love to Humph and xx to you and OH
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2021, 01:20:54 PM »
O no, poor lad is taking a pounding. Hope change of medication sorts it out. It's so miserable seeing your dog so ill. Hope he feels better soon, and you get some sleep!
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2021, 08:45:21 PM »
I read your first update and was pleased at how well he was doing, next page, mayhem!  Poor Humph, that was miserable for him.  His poor tummy will be under siege.  In the midst of it all I was pleased to read that the vet has noticed a change in him, that is fantastic.  Forget the house, if it looks like a hurricane has blown through, so be it.  If Humph is settled, have a wee snooze along with him, otherwise you will be wiped out.  The stress alone is tiring.  Sending  :bigarmhug:to you all.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2021, 10:53:07 AM »
Well its been three weeks since Humphrey‘s op so just thought I‘d post another update as I think (hope  :shades:) we‘re finally back on track.
Its been a bumpy ride so far and we‘ve had lots of ups and downs and setbacks, we‘ve both been in tears more than once  but this morning I really feel we‘ve turned a corner.
We ditched the crate for a puppy run which means I can walk in to change bedding etc and Humphrey’s got more room to manover, plus he has a bed end and the other end for feeding and also where he now stands to tell us he needs to go out.
After he came off the Metacam he was on Novalgin which is  milder and also on Gabapentin, a drug used for neurological pain and also for epilepsie. Reading through the side effects, I wasn’t too happy but its apparently commonly used for post operatve spinal surgery, so he took it for nearly a fortnight. He had diarrhea nearly all of the time and was weeing constantly and on Wednesday evening starting pacing around, couldn’t lie down and yelped a couple of times when he wanted to poo. Back to the vet again (I never seem to manage to get my own vet and the other guy is a waste of space) and he said it was just anal glands and emptied them. Back home again and he was pacing, whining, crying, wimpering for over 4 hours, tried to give him water and he pulled away as if it was going to bite him, tried to stroke him and he growled, he was totally disorientated. Back to our own vet on Thursday morning and I told him I was taking him off all the medication, he agreed it was worth a try but gave me some Novalgin just for emergencies.
Came downstairs this morning to a completely dry bed!  :banana:, never been so excited about a poo with shape!  ;), he‘s relaxed and quite happy in his bed. His right leg is considerably weaker, especially the paw but he‘s standing on both legs and has started to walk very short distances unaided. He‘s had 3 lots of hydrotherapy and we‘ve booked another 7 sessions, so we‘ll see how it goes.
I can’t tell you how much better I feel now, the last 3 weeks have been a full time job but we‘re now at a point where we don’t feel we‘re having to watch him 24/7. I feel a bit upset that although the operation had gone really well, all the other problems have basically been caused by over medication and painkillers that were a) maybe not even necessary (?) and b) have weakened and totally upset his system. But, its a learning curve I guess, everyone’s tried to do their best for him but its proof yet again that we know our own pets best and vets really need to listen to what we’re saying instead of just doing everything by the book!  :dunno:
I‘ll try and post a video of him just as soon as I figure out how to do it!  ph34r .
Have a good weekend everyone and thanks again for all your support!!
 Xx :luv: from Jayne and Humph‘

Offline ips

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2021, 11:46:40 AM »
Thanks for the update hope the little chap continues to recover well 😁👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2021, 11:59:59 AM »
Poor old Humph, what a horrible time when what is supposed to help is causing him such problems. So,pleased to hear he is gradually regaining his strength, amd fingers amd paws crossed he continues to improve. You must be frazzled too! Take care, and best wishes,
Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
Really really pleased for the update and so happy that Humph seems to have turned a corner.
I been watching your thread over the weeks but didn’t feel I could contribute anything useful.  I had 3 prolapsed discs three years ago, and although I didn’t have surgery, I know the pain Humph must have been in.
I am pleased you went with your instincts.  When my Marley had an ultrasound she had to be sedated and it took her a whole 3 days to recover and finally recognise us.  I thought at the time she was going to die as she was so bad.  Yes, medications are necessary but too many cocktails can have a counter effect. 
You must feel you have won the lottery as that is exactly how I felt when Marley wagged her tail after 3 awful days.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2021, 01:45:43 PM »
Jayne - wonderful update - have been thinking of you all and wondering how things were.
The gabapentin....wow what a horror, on it for had back problems, it was a nightmare head was whoozy and when I could manage to do anything I totally had no nerve ending feeling, I would find myself bruised and burned and not understand how I was doing it, MIL observed me opening oven door to take roast out without oven glove, luckily she stopped me doing it.

Poor Humph on that :luv: on that.  Glad you are feeling happier :D it must have been dreadful watching your poor boy,

Love to Humph and keep positive, these cockers are made of stern stuff bless them.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »
Jayne - wonderful update - have been thinking of you all and wondering how things were.
The gabapentin....wow what a horror, on it for had back problems, it was a nightmare head was whoozy and when I could manage to do anything I totally had no nerve ending feeling, I would find myself bruised and burned and not understand how I was doing it, MIL observed me opening oven door to take roast out without oven glove, luckily she stopped me doing it.

Poor Humph on that :luv: on that.  Glad you are feeling happier :D it must have been dreadful watching your poor boy,

Love to Humph and keep positive, these cockers are made of stern stuff bless them.

Good heavens Julie!!! Glad you‘ve confirmed my suspicions, not sure that the vet was quite convinced!!  ;)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2021, 06:53:05 PM »
What a lovely update, so pleased the little fellow has finally turned a corner.

:bestwishes: and gentle  :bigarmhug: may the improvements continue  :luv:

Irene
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline annclare

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2021, 07:13:32 PM »
Wonderful news! So happy and relieved for you all. x