Author Topic: help with raw feeding puppy  (Read 3051 times)

Offline dave w

• Site Member
help with raw feeding puppy
« on: September 16, 2021, 08:27:29 PM »
we will be picking our new sprocker puppy in a few days time and would like to try him on a raw diet he is currently on beta puppy which i've not heard great things about.
he is 8 weeks old how soon can we start giving him raw maybe start with just one meal of the day raw?
the other thing i'm a bit confused with is the amount ive tried a couple of calculators for how much to feed and get different results, there is a company called rawtdoor and based on a adult weight of 15kg he would need 450/525g a day but the nutriment calc suggests about 200/300g a day if he is around 5kg now ,i would hate to under feed when when he is a pup.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: help with raw feeding puppy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 10:37:44 AM »
Hi good luck with your new addition

I can’t advise on raw as I don’t feed raw as the main food. Ash came on beta though and I moved her on to what I fed my other dogs, moved her over 8 days very slowly- the manufacture has changed and the food didn’t suit Ash so I did a lot of research and eventually moved her on to orijen- it’s as close to raw feeding you can get without raw feeding

Hope some of the raw feeders will be along soon to answer your questions

All the best

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 05:44:32 PM »
I have fed raw for a while, and have used Honey's.  https://honeysrealdogfood.com/
They have a good helpline and will work out what you need to feed as you go along.  The food they supply is a complete food, which I preferred as I was confident that all bases were covered.  Might be worth a look.

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 09:45:13 AM »
thanks i think i will give honeys a ring for some advice ,i will keep him on kibble for the next week i was told he was 8 weeks old but when i looked at his paper work he is only 7 weeks old.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 09:55:33 AM »
I got my puppy at 8 weeks old and continued to feed the puppy kibble she had been weaned on.  I wasn’t keen on it but wanted her to settle in first.  I am planning on feeding her on cold pressed food.  After about 10 days at home, I gradually introduced her new food.  I started with a quarter of the new food and three quarters of old food for 3 days.  Now I have introduced the new food for her first 2 meals, and the kibble for the last two meals so she is getting half and half.  After another 3 days on these proportions I then intend to give her 3 meals of new food and 1 of kibble for another 3 days.  After this she will be totally on the new food. So far no tummy problems and she definitely prefers the new food as the food is gone very quickly compared to the kibble.
Hope this helps a little.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 12:18:45 PM »
I used raw for a while,  my only reservation with ready made ones was the size of the bits of ground bone.  It came through him in sharp pieces, or he coughed them up. So I tried making recipes using edible bone powder or ground eggshells and  freezing them. My enthusiasm waned, like freezer space. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 10:07:06 AM »
i ended up buying some raw puppy food from nutriment as a shop local to me stocks it, changed him over to it in one go and he loves it ,so far so good.

Offline Toofast

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 10:07:17 AM »
The last puppy that we bought was on a kibble of some description. Her coat was dull, her eyes were dull and she had a horrible looking large tummy.  Otherwise she was fine.

We changed her over to a raw diet within 24 hours, the transformation was visible within days and there were no tummy problems. ;)

All our puppies start weaning onto raw, first tastes are at 2.5 weeks and they are chewing/offered raw bones at 5 weeks.

Honey's offer good free advice and also have a nice little book to help everyone understand the product and how to feed it.

"Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". Have a look on ebay or Amazon for these books, they can be very cheap to buy here.

Raw is an excellent choice for our canine companions.  I hope you have positive results. Good luck.

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 08:29:05 PM »
yes i noticed the bloated look as well which was gone after a day or so once we switched him to raw.

Offline Toofast

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 10:05:08 PM »
That sounds like a good start. I hope all goes well for you.
It is easier than some make out.
Remember that variety is the best way for keeping a raw diet healthy .

Enjoy. ;)