Author Topic: Excessive scratching on carpet  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Worlass53

Excessive scratching on carpet
« on: November 04, 2021, 02:43:36 PM »
Hi I am so glad I have found this site and I now know I am not alone as I am really struggling with my 8 month old WCS.
We are having a number of issues with him but the newest one is driving us mad! He has developed a habit of scratching at the carpet during the night (I understand the getting comfy and settled as we have had 2 previous cockers) but he goes mad 3-4 times a night and I wondered if there was a way to stop it? He does sleep in a crate but the door is open would the only answer be to close it and suffer the few nights of whining? We does the crate for time out as the other problem we have is the constant barking in a evening at us..but that is a different matter all together! If anyone has any advice/help/guidance I really would be very grateful ...

Offline sophie.ivy

Re: Excessive scratching on carpet
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 08:59:56 AM »
Hi there and welcome!

You're not alone at all - Ivy is my first WCS puppy and I'm finding it a lot tougher than I thought it would be, even having had puppies before (not WCS though!) I recently joined too and the advice here and past posts have really helped.

My girl is only 14 weeks so not sure I'm best placed to give WCS puppy advice, but I have helped raise Shetland Sheepdogs and they are VERY vocal dogs so I'll try to give some tried and tested, and failed, and tried again barking advice. What worked for one dog was ignoring the barking, no eye contact, nothing and just getting up and walking out of the room until it stops. Then going back in and saying 'good boy' and giving him a few strokes, no big fuss, but something to positively reinforce being quiet. This may not work right away but hopefully over time he will get the message that barking means you leave the room, and being quiet means praise and attention.

If this doesn't work, even after doing it quite a few times, then you could try saying 'no' in a stern voice (not yelling) as soon as the first bark happens. I know this gives them the attention they're looking for somewhat, but I found it worked with a sheltie girl who attention barked for play and dinner. This only really worked as she understood 'no' and was sensitive to being told off, so may not work with another dog. I know nowadays, people aren't keen on using negative reinforcement like this and I have been trying to train my new puppy in a positive way (work in progress...!) so know that this may not be a road you want to go down.

Sorry for not answering to the scratching/scrabbling question, not something I have experienced before but I'm sure another member will have some good advice  :D

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Excessive scratching on carpet
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 11:08:30 AM »
Yep I have had that problem with Ollie.....but really isolated to one room and one carpet.

Glad to say the mad scratching is only to a high pile carpet in the spare bedroom, but when it first started hubby and I sat in living room and wondered what ever was the noise.....then found Ollie digging away at carpet.  We got out the magnifying glass to see if either Ollie or carpet had fleas and nothing, after repeated incidents we just kept door shut....he is over 13 now and has grown out of it but sorry to say it lasted years.

They are such strong willed characters and also if they get a thought in their head it is a battle of wills, so all I can say is keep firmly saying no.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed