Author Topic: Vaccinations, again.  (Read 1257 times)

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
Vaccinations, again.
« on: November 20, 2022, 10:39:31 PM »
Hi,

In my search for pups, every breeder I have considered has been generally suspicious and anti vaccinations for reasons such as auto immune and other illnesses associated with over vaccinating.

We have chosen a pup. All health tests, mum and dad both viewed etc but the breeder is against Lepto vaccinations altogether and as this particular pup is a run on (now 18weeks) she has only had one set of vaccinations at 11 weeks and the breeder says she won’t need the second set.

I don’t know what to do. Having had a dog with autoimmune, I don’t want to risk that but I know when I take her to my vets, I will get pressured to either restart vacs or at least have a second set.

To clarify the pup is 18 weeks old and had Canigen DHP at 11 weeks (1 dose only).

Can anyone help me figure out what is best going forward???

We live is a rural area and have chickens so I’m thinking I’ll have to go for the Lepto vaccination but is the one dose of the Canigen DHP enough or should she have another?

Sorry for the long post.
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Vaccinations, again.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 07:57:09 AM »
I can totally empathize with your dilema, I had a lot of misgivings and there are lots of strong opinions on vaccines and it can be a touchy subject, - so this isn‘t an opinion, or advice,  :lol2: its just my approach :
To my knowledge, (but as always, I stand to be corrected ) the lepto vaccination doesn’t cover all forms of the disease so its hit and miss anyway and the vaccination doesn’t last long so needs repeating fairly often. I‘ve read that there have been cases of serious side effects, - although these probably do have to be put into perspective and its true, one shouldn’t believe everything Google claims. The vets will always advice pro vaccination because they are, understandably, in it to make a living. (I had the same discussions re kennel cough etc)
I had quite an argument with our vet and he finished his lecture with -„ well  its your decision“,- and that is it precisely!  ;) So  I decided against. My dog is healthy and isn’t compromised by age or any other issues, he gets a healthy diet and so I feel, even if he was unfortunate to get lepto,  his immune system would cope.
Unfortunately I have to keep updating Rabies so that we can travel back to UK but apart from the basic immunations as a pup, I haven’t updated anything else. We also live in the country.
I may be right, I may (hopefully not) be wrong but if my dog suffers illness, I prefer to think it was  because of an unfortunate but natural cause rather than something which I had instigated.
You can only follow your instinct but don’t allow yourself to be pressured and give yourself enough time to work out what you want to do.
 :luv:

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 10:11:13 AM »
Thank you for this reply. Lots to think about.

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 02:36:25 PM »
I have found some Defra papers which might be useful to others.

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 10:33:42 AM »
Updating with a Defra document regarding Canigen DHP for anyone who might refer to this in the future.

https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/files/SPC_Documents/SPC_153427.PDF

It states puppies vaccinated with a single dose at 10 weeks or older need only a booster every 3 years. No mention of the 12 month booster which is interesting. I think we may titre test and then decide on this.

Regarding the Lepto 2. Here is Defra’s stance.  https://www.vmd.defra.gov.uk/productinformationdatabase/files/SPC_Documents/SPC_124302.PDF

I hope this helps others. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence online, lots of scientific data to be found too. It’s helping us to make the right choices for our animals (hopefully).

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 06:56:23 PM »
My vets do the DAP (or 'the big 3' I call them) every three years and the lepto 4 every year - so far no adverse effects to any of these. :D , he is 91/2
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 07:25:03 PM »
My vets do the DAP (or 'the big 3' I call them) every three years and the lepto 4 every year - so far no adverse effects to any of these. :D , he is 91/2

Thanks for sharing.