Author Topic: Apoquel side effects?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Black and Tan

Apoquel side effects?
« on: January 09, 2023, 11:20:51 AM »
Jasper our rescue cocker has been with us 4 weeks today.  His previous owner died so we have no history.  He came to us from a foster home.  He displayed allergies whilst there and was prescribed antihistamines, steroids and lastly Apoquel.  Our vet has also prescribed Apoquel. When he came to us he had one small bald patch on his back this has now increased to four!  Could anybody give advice, could the Apoquel be causing this or is it the allergies?  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: Apoquel side effects?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 12:29:15 AM »
What a shame!   Do you know what caused the original allergy diagnosis when fostered?   What size are the bald patches, and is the skin healthy or is it red or blistered.
Is he only taking the apoquel  now?   If the vet hasn’t got any history passed on,  I would really want them to go back to square one.  It may sound drastic, but  cutting out Apoquel and reducing steroids if he’s still on them, would show the real picture.  Has he had a general blood test?
Drugs can cause so many side effects.  Vets vary a lot too, and never be too accepting of them. They can always discuss it with their partners.   
Humans get odd bald patches too,  in alopecia areata.   Possible causes being auto- immune problems, or stress.  Mostly it regrows.   With dogs,  the hair growth cycle is slow, so it can be months.   I had a dog with severe auto immune  problems ,  including losing blistered skin and the hair.  She wore vests when out,  but it healed and the fur took a year to recover.    My point is that you are so right to query what’s going on, and stop the  problem getting worse .
I hope Jasper is  settled  into his new home .  I’ve got two rescue dogs,  likewise  other family members.  One piece of advice. I overlooked  first time, was in being too keen to take them to new places.   They find it stressful.   Walk them round their regular route for weeks, so they get confident in their new  area. 

Do let us know how you get on with the skin /hair  problem.   
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Black and Tan

Re: Apoquel side effects?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 01:38:14 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply.The vet has now suggested we stop the Apoquel to see if his itching is any worse.  The itching is no better or worse with not taking the Apoquel.  He is always very itchy first thing in the morning but not at any other time.  The bald patches have not enlarged which I hope is a good sign.  They are about an inch wide running down his back for about 9 inches in a staggered line.  The vet advised trying  Purina vet HA diet which he has been on for 2 weeks with no change to the above.
Many thanks for your advice on walking a set route.  Took Jasoer to the groomer's last Friday.  I stayed with him while the groomer just tidied him up, he seemed fine whilst we were there but when we got home he seemed traumatised and wouldn't leave his bed for 5 hours!  Thankfully next day he was fine.  Wondering if the hair lose could be due to stress considering all the changes his had in the last 6 months.