Author Topic: Dental care  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Jen569

Dental care
« on: January 30, 2023, 02:01:24 PM »
Hello all. After a little advice please re dental care. We have an 11 month old wcs who is awesome. To help when he was teething when he was younger he had a nyler bone and bene bone, which always worked well for him. We continued with bene bones as he definitely enjoys a chew and gets enrichment out of it. I've always been unsure of how good they really are for the dogs being plastic but all has been ok, and kept under supervision. We believed these would help keep his teeth clean too. In recent weeks he has been pulling larger chunks off rather than it breaking down to rice sized pieces, and whilst we have gotten these off him, one did get lodged in his teeth, which after some perseverance I managed to remove with no I'll effects. But don't wish to use these anymore, so they're all in the bin. I think the way forward may be an antler chew, but I'm apprehensive - I've always been fed horror stories by my mother whilst growing up of raw bones going wrong in various ways, so I'm not experienced at all in giving a dog one of these. Our dog will sit and work on something we give him I'm certain, but as mentioned he will try to tear bits off with his front teeth if possible.... probably like all dogs! Can someone put my mind at rest that this is a good way forward both for a bit of enrichment for our dog and to keep his teeth good? Can I also check, is this the sort of thing everyone gives to their dog : 100% Natural SPLIT Antler Dog Chews The Hypo-Allergenic Dog Chew Like Stagbar (Weight - Small 30 - 50g), Size May Vary https://amzn.eu/d/9oLllEl

Should I expect it to be actually consumed or just worked on? Time frame - around 20mins a day for an active chewer, or is this not so important as long as it's supervised?

Many thanks for your advice on advance

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Dental care
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 06:24:43 PM »
Maybe an alternative to consider would be one of the many 'dental sticks' available. so if he does chew them there would not be any danger to him, 0r maybe look at the Fish4Dogs fish skin products?. As long as he is dog that chews and not gobbles things down in 1 should be ok
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.