Author Topic: Hi All sad time...  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Gentle soul

Hi All sad time...
« on: December 31, 2023, 02:36:23 AM »
We lost our beautiful boy on 5th December 2023. 11 and a half years old. He had skin issues, allergies and Ivdd. At one stage I bathed him once a day for a year and a half to resolve skin issues and finally got his fur back. He was paralysed at 8 with ivdd and spent 3 months on cage rest. I carried him out day and night for three months to hold him up to do his business, ending up with sciatica myself! He wouldn't wee on anything but leaves so I went with a black sack to to the park to collect and pile in our garden for him, till he could walk again, surgery not an option so it was a last chance effort. We got him through this, and enjoyed three more years.
He slept beside me on the bed, followed me everywhere, he was and is my soulmate!
He was very poorly and we had to let him go.
He was our 5th cocker, never had a house without one, such a beautiful happy soul, every holiday, every where we went he was with us.
I think the close bond is what makes this one hurt so much, I am torn apart by him not being here. Think he will be our last one, cant do this again.
Just wanted to remember him and pay my respects to him, it was a privilege to have him in our lives.
 :rain:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Hi All sad time...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 09:50:54 AM »
So sad to hear of your loss. I have also lost my beloved spaniel this year. I didn't get the chance to fight for my girl like you. You were an amazing pawrent to your   boy. The heartbreak is awful but it's everything else, the silent house, the not going out , dry floors, the collar and lead hanging on the peg. The bedtime snuggles and the constant smudge on your glasses which has disappeared.
But in time these things will make us smile again and the "never again" will fade. 🐾🐾💔
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 10:42:40 AM »
So sorry to hear you‘ve lost your boy, everyone who’s ever been through the same can understand and sympathize with how much it hurts.
I nursed my boy after back surgery and its no mean task, he‘s never completely recovered and I know that as he gets older things will become more difficult and there‘ll be challenges ahead.
However, there‘s always a bright side to everything and I‘m sure, like with us, the difficulties you faced and overcame together increased the bond between you, I’ve viewed having  to care for a poorly dog and trying to tune in to his needs, a privilege. The emptiness you feel now must be overwhelming but you did everything possible to make your boy’s life more comfortable and he knew that. The memories are always there but at some point they‘ll make you smile and laugh instead of cry.
Be kind to yourself, you did a good job in a miserable situation and if you do feel the need to chat to people who understand, stay with us, you‘ll always find a sympathetic ear on COL.  :luv:

Offline Gentle soul

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 11:38:09 AM »
Thank you bizzylizzy and min for your kind words.
It was a privilege to share his life. He did have a very happy life filled with love, despite the challenges. I would carry him up stairs to avoid back injury, and get him out the car from his blankets on the back seat. I still go on auto pilot to the back rear car door to get him out every time we go out. I have stopped using my car since it happened, we go out in my daughters car lol.
Still got the nose marks on the window where he sat barking at cats. He used to stand at the top or bottom of any staircase, and peer over his shoulder at me, come on dad do your duty! Our vet said he sees us as his servants lolol.
MIN - sorry to hear about your loss too, yes, its everything else, basically, the hole they leave behind!
BIZZYLIZZY- yes, your right, it was a privilege to look after and understand his needs, never once a chore because has was loved. Sounds like your Boy is a lucky boy too, with a great mum. Give him a hug from us!
My profile pic is him. Fully furred lol. We made his own food as the allergy appeared to be anything to do with grass or grass fed. Every two weeks we would make a batch, mackerel, pollack and salmon with fresh steamed vegetables and vitamins added, 5pm he sat and stared at me, then woofed if I wasn't getting the message lol, often tried his luck at 4pm . How do spaniels know the time so well... Mackerel was his absolute favourite, my daughter and I went out to catch it fresh for him whenever we could.
We spoiled him, loved him.
Never considered any other breed, love spaniels and the way they love you back, oh, and the mischief with those sorrowful expressions you can't be mad at.
He was fine, happy, eating, nagging for his food, then not fine! He couldn't stand, was struggling to breathe, and not quite with us, we took him to the vets, and made that decision for him, no tests, no suffering. They suspected a stroke.
I firmly believe that the most selfless gift of love you can give your dog is letting them go peacefully at the end, which we did,  but he is so missed.
Im a 56 year old man, with a wife and daughter, what a plonker to be in this state eh!
He went everywhere with us, canal holidays, walking with his pet stroller, we wouldn't go abroad without him. Our business meant we were able to be with him, everywhere we go, near and far from our home, every corner, he was there, Cumbria, Cornwall, Devon...... which I think makes it harder as everywhere we go now he was also there with us, the hole and pain and sadness is constant, following.
Hope one day this will turn to smiles and fond memories.
The last dog we will have comment , we have had 5 cockers, each one different and loved, but Chester, this last one, I knew would be tough, we had THAT bond. Definitely cannot face this again, cowardly, weak, maybe......
At the end my wife stayed with him in the room to hold him, I couldn't do it, I kissed him and said see you again , but couldn't actually be there. I know I should have been, to hold him while he went on his journey, but it was too much. After all I did for him it felt a little like letting him down at the end, but I didnt want that last memory of him to be the goodbye. So officially, women are stronger than men lol!
Anyway, thanks guys, hug your furry family from us, they really are precious.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 02:00:08 PM »
My heart goes out to you for the loss of Chester.
I lost my soul dogs in 2021, litter sisters Marley who I lost in February and her sister Stevie who I lost in July of the same year.  Even today not a day goes by without me thinking of them.
It truly broke my heart when I lost them and I often wondered how I was still breathing with the holes in my heart.  I actually felt physical pain from the loss.
I had to care for Stevie 24/7 for her last few months as she had dementia and could not be left unattended.
You sound an amazing dad to Chester and as you and bizzylizzy say it is a privilege to care for the old ones.  They have given us so much. 
The next few weeks will be very hard for you as the emptiness can be overwhelming.
I know that you have said ‘never again’ but in time you may feel there is a spaniel size hole in your heart that needs to be filled.  Most of us on this forum have suffered great loss but have welcomed a new one.  I myself have two more cockers, they won’t take the place of Marley and Stevie but they are individuals in their own ways and I do love them.  They get me out and give me so much pleasure. 
I always say the pain of losing them is the price you have to pay for their love and devotion and I would rather have the pain than not to have had their  love.
Take care of yourself.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 02:06:26 PM »
Just want to add. Gemma was our 5th. She was the only living  thing to ever turn my husband into a 64year old crying wreck. Even I never knew he loved her so much
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 06:34:47 PM »
Just want to say sorry for your loss  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 08:13:45 PM »
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Chester was obviously the center of your world, and that loss is indescribable. I understand completely what you mean, caring so much for him, you create a bond like no other. They become your life, and you theirs. We have bee without a cocker for the last two years, as we just can't face it again.  There is little anyone can say that will make you feel any better, sadly. I know it's a cliche, but it will get better, and one day, there will be a smile instead of tears, when you think of him.  You could not have done more, remember that.

Offline Gentle soul

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2024, 02:59:46 AM »
Thanks vixen, mudmagnets and ejp for your kind words.
Nearly five weeks gone, we are all just devastated.
Someone said to me the other day....ooh its almost like losing a close relative....... no, actually, its the same or worse, its a loved family member, and the grief is overwhelming and physical and mental too. Not just a dog, far more than that and better than most human beings I have known.
We are carrying on through it, bad days and not so bad days.
I miss him so much, but hoping it gets better.
EJP yes, its indescribable, we all just carry on. Cant do this again, if we had another, I would want it to be him, so not fair, and in any case Its him we all just want back. I hate going to bed with the empty gap between us, hate driving my car, hate not getting him out the car, but no doubt will get easier.
Thanks all xx

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 02:26:23 PM »
Thanks vixen, mudmagnets and ejp for your kind words.
Nearly five weeks gone, we are all just devastated.
Someone said to me the other day....ooh its almost like losing a close relative....... no, actually, its the same or worse, its a loved family member, and the grief is overwhelming and physical and mental too. Not just a dog, far more than that and better than most human beings I have known.
We are carrying on through it, bad days and not so bad days.
I miss him so much, but hoping it gets better.
EJP yes, its indescribable, we all just carry on. Cant do this again, if we had another, I would want it to be him, so not fair, and in any case Its him we all just want back. I hate going to bed with the empty gap between us, hate driving my car, hate not getting him out the car, but no doubt will get easier.
Thanks all xx

we lost Gemma in July, yesterday i cried because someone was speaking about her. She was our 5th and dearly loved.
  MY first dog ( a staffie) was and still is deeply loved. I would have him back immediately if god came to me, but if the condition was that I had to forfeit the memories of all my others then I would have to decline the offer . :luv:
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2024, 04:36:43 PM »

MY first dog ( a staffie) was and still is deeply loved. I would have him back immediately if god came to me, but if the condition was that I had to forfeit the memories of all my others then I would have to decline the offer . :luv:

[/quote]

That sums it up well Min and as long as we have the wonderful memories, they’re always part of our lives. Bless them all   :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2024, 12:14:17 PM »
I have been slow to answer as your sorrow and loss is an echo of my saddness and loss of Ollie, and it is so very raw still.

We all understand your words as they echo so much of our past and recent losses.  There is a shadow a presence of them in so much we see and do in our daily lives.  I cannot say when the pain gets easier, but I know that the greastest loves come with the greastest gift and that is the unconditional loves shared by you and Chester.

My heart aches for Ollie who I lost last year, and the tears well up many times - like you it was a physical and also mental struggle at times with his health and age (15) he had to be carried and hubby and i bought a large sofa stool so he could put his front paws on for what was affectionally called a bums up to get onto the bed - a shared memory :luv:  He was and is so deeply loved and that will always be, a precious gift.

Finally a confession not previously mentioned.  I have a beautiful new cocker spaniel, he is a joy and has stolen our hearts, but there is and has been so much soul searching at times as to whether I should have got Harry, a memory or a similar action he makes and my mind some how catapults back.

Hubby has said it is not fair on little Harry and he is right, just this weekend when putting the Xmas decs away it happened again, and the tears.  I was 100% commited to caring for my boy Ollie for the last years, it was my duty and love for a boy who loved me unconditionally - it is a gift in life that not everyone has and I can count my blessing.  He was my friend and companion, he comforted me when I was ill and got excited at my happy times.  As you say so much more than many human friends - no one can understand unless they have shared this.  I will endeavour to give this to Harry a totally different character that brings such joy.

A midst all you sorrow is such a great love that you have spelled out on here and I hope the sad memory will over time bring a smile.  What a special boy he was to have so much love.

It does happen with time that the memories draw a smile

Take care
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 05:37:57 PM »
That's a lovely post, Jaysmum. It just sums up the physical pain the loss of that special dog, and how it hits you at random times.
We are on our tenth dog (Dylan). The first one we had when we got married was a rough haired Jack Russell, and he was strictly a one woman dog, and the sharpest tack, he was so clever. When he died aged 11, everyone said get another dog, and we got a Scottie, a black dog cos I couldn't face a white one. I sort of resented her at first, so I know just what you  mean about Harry. (So pleased you have another spaniel - think of all the possibilities that lie ahead!). We had five Scottie’s, two of which were very special friends, and then we went to spaniels, and Milo (the avatar) was another pal, when he went we said no more, so heartsick we were. It was a few months later after enduring the misery of an empty house we got Dylan, and he too has become a special dog. All specials, so different in their specialness. When you think you can't have another like the dear one you lost, one comes along. We have been lucky, five out of ten. I really hope Harry becomes a special one for you (it was my dad's name, so a good one!).
And I hope,the same for Gentle Soul too  :bigarmhug:
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 09:53:43 AM »
Just reading a lovely book I had as a Christmas present, it‘s very appropriate to this thread and puts a lot of our feelings into perspective. Can definitely recommend it !
The Wisdom of Old Dogs: Lessons in life, love and friendship by Elli H. Radinger

Offline Gentle soul

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 02:28:46 PM »
Yes Min, agree totally, better to have loved and lost than not have loved at all.

Its very humbling having such a beautiful soul living with you, in a furry cocker shape.

We have four frames on the wall with pics of all of our spaniels, all brought such joy to our home, they literally fill your home with wet, waggy, furry, mischievous but always unconditional wholly given love.

Jaysmumagain, your post was very moving, indeed a lovely post, sorry to have stirred your memories and cause you pain. What your husband says is wrong and right. It isnt fair to Harry, BUT it is inevitable that memories will come flooding back with those little moments with Harry, spaniels although very different in character are spaniels, we recognise traits in all of them specific to the breed. You will get to know Harry as Harry, and Harry will be Harry, and in any case Harry just simply loves you, and those memories and times with Harry will develop and grow. Give him a hug and a kiss, Harry not your husband lol,  from us. Very happy for you all, enjoy your new love rocket. And yes, Chester, he was a very very special boy.

We know Chester was special, and we were blessed with him in our livee, and would do the same again even if we knew how things would turn out. He had a wonderful, happy life filled with unconditional freely given love, and gave the same in return. We have nothing to feel guilty about, which often we punish ourselves with these thoughts, not this time, just an ever present aching to the very soul of our being. Great way to lose weight though, lost 7lb in 4 weeks, probably not a recommended diet regime though lol.

Finvarra, we felt the same initially, a little resentment towards the new pup, based in he or she not being the previous, its entirely human and natural, part of the grieving process, it takes time doesn't it to truly get to know your new pup as themselves, or indeed even to approach being ready in yourself to that point where you accept them as who they are not who you have lost. Regardless of that, you give your love and heart to them, maybe just not immediately........

I came on here , not intending to be a sad miserable sod upsetting people, its just nice to chat to people who UNDERSTAND that it isnt just a dog.....

Thanks again everyone.

Min, not long now, new arrival incoming, socks away, ornaments above tail height, fireguard in place, food safe, garden ready for major exploration and excavation works, neighbours cat at the ready ears plugged, presents ranging from sheep poo to slugs at the ready to be brought in as a gift to mum (yuk), ..... having read that, perhaps we are all a little unhinged to share our lives in this way, seriously, lol, our previous spaniel used to bring us slugs and snails in, used to tred on them regularly, uuurgh, yet, would be overjoyed to have that again too, not the longings of a sane person surely ;) :D

Happy new year to everyone. Speak soon no doubt.