Author Topic: Puppy Crates  (Read 820 times)

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Puppy Crates
« on: October 10, 2005, 03:24:44 PM »
Hi All,

I am currently looking on ebay and they have a fanstastic selection of puppy crates on offer. We are going to crate train our new puppy, mainly so he can get away from Daisy when necessary!   :D

What size crate would you advise I have so that it will be big enough for him forever? We will only use it in the house and only I imaging until he's house trained. What size crates do you use? They have a 24'' crate for £13.99, seems very cheap - don't want to buy a hamster cage!   :blink:
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Puppy Crates
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 04:32:27 PM »
Hi Toni,

I THINK we got a 30" one for Max, which was absolutely fine till about 2-3 weeks ago when he really started getting fed up with being so contained - might be to do with the fact that he likes to sleep stretched full out sometimes though & he's surprisingly long!! (He's just 20 weeks).  If it's only gonna be for a relatively short period of time for a new little pup, that should do it - I think ours was advertised as the right size for a full-size cocker - Max would beg to differ though!

Regards,
Kath.

:lol:

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Puppy Crates
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 04:58:24 PM »
Have you thought of maybe getting a puppy pen for the new pup ? When i first brought Misty home I got one to give Jimmy a breather from her pincer like teeth, it also gave her more freedom to bounce around in than a crate . It's been one of the best things I ever bought as it's been adaptable for so many different situations since. :)

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
Puppy Crates
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:16:04 PM »
As I said recentley on another thread. I bought a crate for  Floss but the first night I didn't close the door and she got out and cuddled up with Zac in his crate she has been there ever since!! So maybe you won't need one.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline paulb

• Site Member
    • http://barney.moonfruit.com
Puppy Crates
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 10:10:41 PM »
barney grew out of his crate and rightly or wrongly we decided to try him in a bed in the kitchen, he has now placed very attractive scratched on the back of the door and ate a door mat, :o

i wish we had bough a larger cage, my worry is now he may not entertain the idea of being crated, :(

still how can i be cross at him with those eyes. ;)
Barneys Website

With Best Wishes, Paulb, Evonne ,Ollie, Alice and of course the great Barney

Offline jakieboy

• Site Member
Puppy Crates
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 10:44:45 PM »
Hiya - I had a puppy pen, which I was going to use until she was too big for it.

However, Gemini is now in her crate.  I was coming home from work every morning to find that she had moved it all the way over to the kitchen to be with the other two, and that Finn was chewing - the plastic sheeting, newspaper and her blankets out from under her.  

Good team game they had going there till mummy spoilt it all  :ph34r:

I have a fairly large crate, probably slightly too big but then it gives her plenty of room.

Gemini is clean in her crate, she was still pooing and weeing in her pen, so at least that one less job in the mornings.  So in a way it's better, and it's smaller then the pen, so we have more room again in the living room.

She's not much of a chewer, so I am hoping that once she can't get through the gate on the kitchen she can go in there with the other two, of course she isn't teething yet!!! so that might change, the only thing she chews now is toilet paper - she is the official new andrex puppy lol

Nikki x

Offline Wendy M

• Site Member
Puppy Crates
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 11:45:02 PM »
Hi
We've just started using a crate for our new pup, Hattie.  We bought the smaller one from Argos for £34.99.  It's advertised for medium-sized adult dogs and is really quite large.  It's an absolute godsend!! Hattie sleeps 8 hours a night in there, with no mess (yes really!!).  We also use it whilst we're eating and, after just 3 days, she now takes herself off to her crate when she's tired and curls straight up to sleep.  Would definitely recommend!
Wendy
Wen xx