Author Topic: Zipper Madness  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Enelya

• Site Member
Zipper Madness
« on: January 18, 2006, 10:56:52 AM »
Hello everyone,

Maddox, now 8 months is destroying his cushions for some weird reason.

He started doind this a couple of months  ago so much so that he had nothing to sleep on. He quietly rips the zipper (which he has done again with a bean bag we bought for him on Saturday) and then pulls out the stuffing.

Luckily i guess he doesn't eat it but it's so frustrating. I'm wondering am i wrong to want to put something soft in his crate ( i mean mushy ), he just seems to eviscerate anything i try. We bought him a single duvet to replace the cushion he ripped up in his cusshion and he's done it again... So now i've put him on just a folded blanket and the single cushion he has not been able to do this with ( one from pets at home which seems to resist any attempt - also has no zipper). He has also ruined one of my husband's jacket by ripping the zipper off as it hung on the coat hanger.... I don't understand where this is coming from. I give him treats to chew on and pigs ears to counter the biting phase but ... i'm at my wits end.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is it wrong to just leave him to sleep on a blanket? i'm feeling kind of guilty... but i can't keep buying thins he's going to rip up in 3 days flat.
Love, E.

Maddox's Momma, living in Manchester

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Zipper Madness
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 10:58:54 AM »
I'd use vetbedding which is a thick fleecy stuff you can get from pet shops. It's warm and cosy, and is fine for crates, etc, he may grow out of it.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Zipper Madness
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 11:08:16 AM »
A blanket? Pure luxury :)

Alfie wont sleep on anything soft - not even the furniture, he prefers the hard floor or if he wants someting softer he favours the coir door mat :)

Caroline and Alfie

Offline luckydogs

• Site Member
  • lucky by name and lucky by nature---the luckydogs
Zipper Madness
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:26:38 PM »
Both dogs have huge big fleecy cushions , however Ally prefers to sleep outside our door at night, could be something to do with the hot water pipes running underneath , very cozy! Ally Also has a fleecy blanket which he takes into the crate with him and pulls all around the house, like Lynas in Snoopy! :P

Offline Enelya

• Site Member
Zipper Madness
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 01:34:27 PM »
Ah ok...

So a blanket should see him right.

Update about the pets at home cushion with no zipper, he has just chewed a hole thru it... :(

I've just filled another kong but i can't do this all day long... I have to find a solution.

Thanks for the tips anyhow!
Love, E.

Maddox's Momma, living in Manchester

Offline PennyB

Zipper Madness
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 02:20:52 PM »
Mine never got bought beds while they were going though this stage, I made my own out of strong cardboard box (sort you put lettuces and fruit in) and a blanket from a charity shop (and another one which is in the crate)! Probably sounds mean but as they were going through this stage I didn't have money to replace any that got damaged.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Zipper Madness
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 06:32:13 PM »
Molo destroyed duvets, cushions and a lovely handmade stuffed dog bed when he was about the same age - I was mortified  :rolleyes:  We used vetbed and blankets - he even had a go at destrying these, but satified himself by digging madly at them  :rolleyes:

He grew out of it - he sleeps on a duvet now, and I may even treat him to a new stuffed bed if we put his crate away :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

Zipper Madness
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »
and I may even treat him to a new stuffed bed if we put his crate away :)
[snapback]176709[/snapback]

Mine have stuffed beds (removed though when I have foster pups as they often pee on them and I get fed up of putting them through the washer :rolleyes: ) now but they would hate me to do away with the crate!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Zipper Madness
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 06:51:29 PM »
Molly is a foam and stuffing destroyer too :rolleyes: .  I think that there is a certain scent from things like this (maybe a chemical) that drives her mad and she's not satisfied until it's destroyed.  She ripped apart cushions, a doggy sofa and our sofa bed, just to get to the foam :angry: .  She hasn't done it recently but then we haven't put temptation in her way :lol: .  Maybe she's grown out of it.  Maddox will be fine on a blanket, honestly :) .
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Zipper Madness
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 08:33:21 PM »
Another zipper-holic here.  Daisy is a complete nightmare with zips - I have no idea what the fascination is - she has never destroyed anything else but zips are a prize kill :rolleyes:

My dog walking trousers have lots of pockets - all with zips including one pocket half way down the thigh - none of the zips work :ph34r:   Not even the fly :blink:

I have to buy a new pair and keep them out of madam's way.  So sorry - no words of wisdom just comiseration :huh:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
Zipper Madness
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 12:34:19 PM »
Must be in their genes! Fred does exactly the same. Steals cushions form the sofa and attacks the zip.

He has also ripped a big hole in his bed. I'm also considering getting him a blanket or something as he also likes to sleep on the hard wood floor!!

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Zipper Madness
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 01:12:51 PM »
Mikey rips everything he is given to sleep on, he likes to sleep on the floor too.  Herbie treasures his bed and the softer the better for him.

My border collie could never have a bed as never mind ripping them he would hump them to death :P
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx