Author Topic: another question about micro chipping.  (Read 720 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
another question about micro chipping.
« on: December 06, 2006, 04:16:23 PM »
if you buy a pup already micro chipped by breeder it will have the breeders details on it correct?

1) would you then microchip again  with your details or is there a way of updating microchip database.
 2)also is it better to wait until the dog has stopped growing to microchip as there is less chance of migration? esp in large breeds.

if this should be in puppies I do apologise as its also aimed at dogs a bit older.

3) If i get a dog as an adult microchipped I would want it chipped with my details not previous owners.
 and if a puppy chip had migrated the vet might not find it on scan assume it hadnt been done and the dog could end up with two chips.
4)and what about dogs that have been imported?
 sorry its a rambling topic. ive tried to get it into 4 questions not 40! ;)

Offline MollieMoo

• Site Member
Re: another question about micro chipping.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 04:34:18 PM »
I bought Mollie who was already micro-chipped.  The lady I bought her off gave me all her documents which included the micro chip details, so I went on line and changed the details to mine and had to pay a fee of approx £12.

When I took Daisy for her second jabs I was intending on having her microchipped at the same time, the vet I saw said she was waiting for her own Springer pup to grow, so I ended up coming away with out Daisy being chipped.  I then went back to the vets about a month later and asked when should I have her chipped and the receptionist said that if I was taking her out walking then I should get her done as if she gets lost/stolen then she would have her chip 'in'.  So I ended getting her microchip fitted when she was about 15 weeks.

Kate, Fudge (Orange Roan 11 years)

Mollie (RIP 19/11/20 aged 15 1/2 years old)
Daisy (RIP 14/02/19)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 04:34:54 PM »
I know a couple...!

1. You can update the database, I think they charge you about £15 to make a change of details
2. I don't know if this makes a difference but I would recommend chipping as early as possible from a safety standpoint
3. If you get an adult chipped dog then you just have to change the details with Petlog or the relevant company. I think most vets would scan the whole body anyway and would pick up a migrated chip, or you could ask them to do this
4. I have no idea !
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Shelley

• Site Member
  • Melody, Abi, Tia
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »
Yes, if you get a dog or puppy who has already been microchipped you can get the owners details changed to your own.

I have large breeds, well giant breeds (Newfoundlands), two were microchipped in the late 90's when they were a couple of years old. The other two were done when they went for their first jab. I don't know if it makes any difference, as we have never had any problems with our dogs microchips moving anywhere :D

I think there is a possibility if you adopt an older dog which had a microchip which had migrated somewhere, that you could end up with a dog with two chips... If you chose to have them done again, or didn't know they had been done in the first place.

Tia, Melody and Abi

RAW FED, CHEMICAL FREE DOGS!