Author Topic: "Leader" -v- "Boss"  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: "Leader" -v- "Boss"
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 09:21:27 AM »
One thing that I often wonder with regards to being 'Leader' in the pecking order with Saffie. When I take her to the vets or to the groomers (and leave her there), does she see this as me letting someone do things that aren't nice (even tho they are not harming her) and because it is me that has left her in these situations therefore she can not see me as the leader as if she is under my protection then I wouldnt leave her and let these things happen. If that makes sense!

I don't think that they can rationalise things in the same way as we can - she might not enjoy the experience, but is more likely to associate it with the person who is doing it, rather than "hold you responsible" for taking her there in the first place  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Dragon

• Site Member
  • Woofas
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »
[
I don't think that they can rationalise things in the same way as we can - she might not enjoy the experience, but is more likely to associate it with the person who is doing it, rather than "hold you responsible" for taking her there in the first place  :005:

I so hope you're right. I took Molly to the vets today to have a really tight bandage cut off. I whimped out by asking them to take her into another room, because I didn't want Molly to associate the fear with me. What a wuss I am. I'm obviously falling apart :005:
Cooper x Sasha x George x

Penel

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »
You're wise to get them to do it if you can't cope - no point making things worse.

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 12:12:46 PM »
Do you 'lose-face' then if your dog is attacked while out walking and you are there as pack leader should defend the pack?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »
Do you 'lose-face' then if your dog is attacked while out walking and you are there as pack leader should defend the pack?

This is one of the reasons I don't like the word "leader" - because it is associated with a "pack"  ;) Although I want to provide leadership to my dog, I do not fulfil the role of "pack leader" in the way that another dog could; dogs aren't stupid - they know that we aren't dogs and do not relate to us in the same way as they would another dog  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 05:55:48 PM »
This subject is a bit heavy for me, but I give leadership to my dogs, my dogs trust my judgements and accept for the most part my commands. In return for their loyality I treat them all with respect. They know that I would never knowingly endanger them in whatever situation I put them into. When Penny was pregnant she gave me her utmost trust when she was going into labour and was frightened for she knew I was only there to help her and not harm her. She allowed me to be there for her at the births and take over when necessary.
Amongst the 3 dogs, Penny is boss for she is the pups mother and they seem to respect that status. They do torment her from time to time, but if she growls they both immediately submit and back off. Out of the pups then Phoebe is boss and although they get along very well together she will put Logan in his place or any of the other pups should it be necessary.
For the most part I have a regular local dog walking route which I take the dogs on, mine know these other dogs as we often bump into them and I have noticed they do treat certain dogs with more caution that others as if they know they should.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 05:42:07 PM »
This subject is a bit heavy for me,

Same here!! :shades:
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)