Author Topic: Have to put my gang into kennels  (Read 3170 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Have to put my gang into kennels
« on: July 29, 2007, 10:52:04 AM »
Okay, its only for one night but I feel positively sick at the thought of it  :'(  I'm going to see the wrestling in Aberdeen in October (although at this rate I'll be pulling out  ph34r) and nobody seems to relish the challenge of looking after 6 dogs  :lol:  They would probably be better off in kennels in that they will get out regularly and won't try and run away (as Dallas does every time he is at my aunts!!). I rang round a couple yesterday and I can't believe how rude some of them were. One in particular shocked me as they come highly recommended. I was asking for prices and she said 6 dogs?? for 1 night?? really sarcastically. I told her the date and literally as soon as it left my mouth, she declared herself full that day  :lol:  Another one was really friendly and helpful and said it would be no probs but they would need their KC vaccines so that takes us to approx £200 for 1 night  :o  Its going to be an expensive night out - I had better meet some wrestlers for all this hassle  :lol: :lol:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Re: Have to put my gang into kennels
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:59:59 AM »
Oh Gill, poor you.  Would it not be better to try and source a house sitter ??

I have only visited 1 lot of kennels, I didnt like what I saw either  :o 

Shame you arent nearer, 6 cockers  :luv:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:02:54 AM »
I wonder if a home sitter would be cheaper too??

Or some nice COLer up your neck of the woods!!!!  :lol:

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 11:03:31 AM »
I was also wondering if you'd thought about a housesitter? We had one stay recently and she was brilliant, and the animals had their usual routine, walks, feeding, play etc. :blink:

Good luck in finding something.

Silkex

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 11:04:14 AM »
that's going to be one expensive night out!!! :shades:
i hope you enjoy :D

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »
6 :o, too many for Holly to cope with but I can take a couple off your hands nae bother.  That should ease the purse load and I am close to Aberdeen too!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 11:26:23 AM »
Ohh I wish I lived nearer I would luuuurve to look after them ...just thinking about all those cuddles  :luv:

Hope you can get something sorted Gill and enjoy your evening  ;)
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cobaltblue

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 11:35:08 AM »
I can believe they're as rude as that  >:(.  I visited a couple of kennels who wouldn't even let me see where William would be staying ... all they seemed interested in was getting the money.  Keep trying and the right kennels will turn up. 

I suppose the only advantage of kennels over house sitters for six dogs is that you know they'll be secure.

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 11:55:10 AM »
 :luv: :005:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 01:11:48 PM »
Gill have you thought of trying any of the local breeders who have kennels? if it's only for one night?

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »
Gill I don't have experience of large groups of dogs but I regularly look after up to 8 children at a time  :lol:  Seriously though I would be willing to come and dog sit for you if you want.  What date in October is it?

ETA:  I just checked the AECC website and its the 20th.  That would suit me fine as its in the school holidays (would just be me coming though ;))

I won't be offended if you would prefer someone more experienced ;) 
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 01:29:08 PM »
Aww Gill I know exactly how you are feeling!

I've only used kennels once, for Sapphi when she had just turned 1 and was still suffering separation anxiety at the time. My brother had said he really wanted me to go down to his in Coventry when his son was being born. I cried every day the week leading up to leaving her and when I'd dropped her off I cried nearly all the way to Coventry.  ::)
I rang up three times a day, she was there for three days.

I went to visit four kennels and three of them I wouldn't have kept a flea in.  >:( And rude, wasn't in it. Absolutely no understanding of separation anxiety. One of them recommended to me by an APDT trainer was vile, and when I asked how often they would exercise her their reply was astonishing. "Well it depends really on the dog, we've got two retrievers in at the moment who are happy to laze around so we walk them every other day"  :o :o >:(  If you came in my house it would look like they are happy to laze around but get ready for a walk and their excitement can barely be contained. I found that utterly unbelievable and if thats what they admit to it just makes me wonder exactly how often they did it.

All the kennels I know insist on up to date KC vac, so it is going to turn into an expensive night out!

I wish I was nearer I'd defo would have them! I've got six at the moment with Moog and Merv staying and thats going great. Ok with mine and yours that would be 10 dogs but what the heck.....in for a penny in for a pound!  :lol: :lol:

Hope you sort something out.

ETA: OOO Gill an offer from Mrs Mac!  :005: Will she need to have some vallium?  ph34r  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 01:39:22 PM »
ETA: OOO Gill an offer from Mrs Mac!  :005: Will she need to have some vallium?  ph34r  :005:

I'm not one for narcotics but if it helps......  :lol: :lol: 
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »
I'm sure a pet/house sitter would be cheaper than kennels....but finding one you trust is more difficult :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 01:50:43 PM »
 :blink:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais